does a chassey have a vin.

matt

does a chassey have a vin and does it match the body vin by the door. where is the vin on the chassey thanks.

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Not sure about other years but '61 Chevrolets have the VIN stamped on the top of the left frame rail under the drivers seat.

bobs409

Administrator
It should have it. It's called a confindential VIN and was used by police to confirm a stolen car.

I *think* it would be just the last part of the VIN but I could be wrong on that. (believe it or not, I have been wrong on occasion) :D

Bob

60Impala4Dad

Well Known Member
60 chevy VIN on frame

The entire VIN was in three locations on my dad's 60 impala convertible, all on the top of the driver side frame rail:
Location 1: Above the steering box
Location 2: Under the drivers seat above the area where the stock muffler would be located
Location 3: Under the trunk floor about 2 feet in front of the back of the frame

Granted, it was hard to read in some areas due to rust, but it was there. You might need to make one "soft" pass with an OD sander to level the rust on your frame and then, depending on how bad your frame is, you should be able to see some or all of the number impressions.

Good luck.

Doc

65FO-OH-9

When I did a Frame-off on my Black/Black 65SS396 W/37,000, I found the number at the
Back driver's side rail on the outside that corresponded with my VIN #
Didn't see it till frame was totally sandblasted. Not a real deep stamping on that!

-Mark.

Kdurgin

Well Known Member
On my 62SS it's here and matches the VIN#

ImpalaJan13010.jpg

matt

vin tag was missing when't off the body and the chassey. the sherrif stopped by inspected the chassey numbers and body got a title coming thanks guys.