Does this count as a Hobby? :)

jparello

Well Known Member
Does this count?
It's my '62 VW Bug that I bought and built between and after deployments while I was on active duty.. Still growing... I have a set of Porsche 356 Brakes to put on it when I get home that I scored on the inter-web a few months back.. They should look good all polished up behind the Centerlines..

Attachments

• bug.JPG
    bug.JPG
    98.4 KB · Views: 1

bobs409

Administrator
Sure does. I had 3 of them in my time. I never restored one or put alot of money into one but that was years ago when they were plentiful. I can't believe how much these cost now a days! :eek

1st one was a 69 Beetle given to me by my dad which I used as a bush buggy before cutting it up to do a rail. That project never got finished as the welder failed his job big time!

2nd one I got just as I turned 16 for a driver, it was a 74 Superbeetle. I drove that thing to hell and back and it made it to all the beer parties no matter where they were located at! :D It nickeled and dimed me to death so this one did get alot of money just to keep it road worthy. Sold after hitting a buck, I was doing 55mph. The dent in the hood came in handy at some of those parties, it was big enough to sit in. (headlights & buckets actually popped out of the fenders on that impact) Eventually traded it for a 70 Chevelle, tired of freezing my a$$ off in the winter. Ah the good old days. :D

3rd one was bought to use as a bush buggy, it was a 71 Beetle. It was a friends car that was already sitting in my yard for about a year. Got it for $75, put in a $10 dollar transaxle and sold off the fiberglass parts making it free. This one ran excellent and had alot of off road fun before finally selling it for $250. Drank alot of beer in it too. :D

jparello

Well Known Member
Ha... You can still find them cheap, and solid out in California--finding them un-molested is getting harder though.. I found mine in running condition, with a 6-volt setup and an od 1331cc engine. She ran good, but the front runner tires, non-working windshield wipers, and loose steering made 60mph down I-5 pretty scary from LA to Oceanside when I bought it.. She's a good car, been driven over 15k miles I think since I finished it in 2008... Been in one small accident since then-- when an guy was staring at me, forgetting to turn on his signal, and decided no to turn, crunching in the drivers front corner-- I about killed the guy.. Insurance took care of it-for the most part.. But, as she sits there is how she sits in my garage right now..
She's a good car--carried me three separate times on the road between Chicago and San diego-- scoring 29mpg the whole way with dual 40mm Dell'orto's on a 1793CC motor. It's a fun car.

It was my frist 'resto', and I am happy with it.. I've re-done the headliner twice (it's a learning experience), had the motor out more than two handfulls of times due to an f'd up brand new pressure plate--- But, she's good now.. My '61 will be next, followed by completion of my '62 Falcon then my '41 Ford Coupe which I bought from a guy in Lodi, Ca which I'll pick up when I get back to Illinois.. It'll be an adventure going after that one too!

jparello

Well Known Member
Thanks Phil.. I never get ill of the compliments! (especially from the hot rod and muscle car crowd!) :)

jparello

Well Known Member
Thanks Dan..
She's a great car... Fun and easy to work on.. Nothing like a car that you can casually remove the motor in 30-45 minutes on!! Oh, and muscle it out without a cherry-picker.. I'll likely build another VW someday--just gotta find the right one-- California will be the source for #2 when the time comes.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I have a freind that drag races a 56'. It runs in the 10's and is one nasty little rig.....:beer

18htan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Fastest car in the world...

Just not a road long enough to wind them out :dance

raymar58409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Really neat bug. Had a 73 SB new 25 mpg, gas heater under bonnet:crazy. drove it over 100,000 miles, paid 2750 sold for 950.

:crazy

jparello

Well Known Member
Hey.. thanks guys for the compliments.. I guess we all have different takes on cars.. But, when we have diverse tastes it allows us to find much more interesting folks in the 'cult' areas.. Not that it was the reason for purchasing this bug. But, I wanted my own little project--and this took off once I started.. Couldn't turn back. With the '61, things are much more expensive. But, time is available--she's gettin' there...

S

Swiss Impala

I do not like European cars, just some of them and the VW Käfer = VW Bug is one of them.
These Volkwagens were really great! :clap:clap I like them! They were really reliable and they looked great!

Franz