Don - Vendor Help Please

Wilson1

Well Known Member
Don - We had a thread going in the Full Size forum about me swapping a 348 back into my 60 to replace the ubiquitous 350.

A guy that pits down the row from me at the races happened to have a 409 crank he is willing to sell since he built his into a stroker. Now here is the question. You recommended the K_B Icon pistons, and mentioned you might be able to provide part numbers. Kool... I looked on there web site, but no 348 pistons listed.

I would like to have a compression ratio around 11:1 - I live at 4500 feet and won't be taking this car much lower. Also, i see a lot of people wanting to use the shorter 409 rod. Since I am a die hard drag racer, I would like to use the longest rod possible, and I am assuming the BBC rods will fit, if the width and pin works, so is there an off the shelf piston that will use a long rod? If so, how long? Normally the longer the rod the lighter the piston. (I happen to have a spare set of 6.385 Manleys sitting around and a used set of 6.135's)

Also, if I had to do a custom piston, I notice a few that will do it like Ross, and Diamond, which I have used both in BBC builds and they are great vendors, any special tricks you might have up your sleeve? I saw a picture of a Diamond with an unusual cut away in the chamber area... Flame travel?

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
The place to look for the K-B Icons is Show-Cars.They list two .PN 7815 is the Icon piston that is listed for the 348 when using the 6.135 rod and a 4in.stroke.This is the one that I use with the 3.5[409 crank] and the 6.385 rod.They sell for 599.00 a set.The second one is PN 8935 ,is only availeable from Show Cars,and it's for a stock stroke 348,or you could use it with the shorter 409 rod[6.09] for a 380.It lists for 629.00 ,I don't know what the 8935 weighs,but the 7815's weighs 642 grams plus 149 for the pins.The cut away in those Diamonds was designed by a former member from here for use in the pistons that he sold as an exculsive deal through Ross.It was for flame travel.On a mild street set-up like this,I don't know how much help they would be.The 7815 is rated at 10.8 when using a 6.135 rod and a 4in.stroke crank.You'll lose some of that due to the shorter stroke crank,but I think that 10.2-10.5 should be attainable.

427John

Well Known Member
Not to stomp on Don's toes but math says if you use the 348 4"stroke pistons with a 3.5" stroke 409 crank with +.250 rods which you have you should be good.KB/icon lists their 348 4"stroker piston as a 427.It's designed for use with 4" crank and 6.135 rods,its listed as 10.8 compression but may be less than that with the 3.5 stroke.Looks like he beat me to it.

Wilson1

Well Known Member
Thanks Guys - So now the next real question with these funny deck motors (don't flame me please it is an attempt at humor) what is the real deck height measurement" 9.6 or 9.8"?