Drag racing vintage Alterds

409Kid

Well Known Member
These are a couple of pics of what became
My Nostalgia altered when I first acquired it. I may have my story wrong but I believe this car was built in in the late ‘50s -very early ‘60s and was originally pocketed by a 348. I acquired the car in the early ‘80s and began a ground up restoration Car was 93” WB with maximum allowable setback for the altered classes. Engine sat high in the chassis and was coupled to a a steel lines aluminum Lakewood dragster can, aluminum Schaefer flywheel, Ford Long Style slipper clutch with direct drive going to a Halibrand 201 quickchange rearend. Front had a straight axle with a large amount of caster perched on a transverse leaf, friction shocks, early ford spindles and American spindle mount 15x4 magnesium 12 spokes and Pirelli tires. Steering provided by a modified Ross steering box. Rears were American Magnesium 5 spokes with 8.50x30” M&H Racemasters on early ford axles. The solid mounted rearend was equipped with the requisite axle retention devices. The frame was made from OH TOO THIN tubing (and later thought to be muffler tubing ).

I stripped the car down removing eight different paint jobs from the fiberglass tub and trunk. My guess was there had been 14 lbs of paint on the body alone. Enough to practically fill a 5 gallon bucket. Chassis was upgraded with a 6 point funny car style cage from the main rails up. The frame was painted House of Colors gloss black with a Pearl Purple overlay. The body was then painted Candy Tangerine over Gold Shimrin with a Pure Pearl overlay Both were followed by multiple clear coats.

The engine I used was a carry over from my ‘62 Sport Belair. The crossram removed and the Algons put in place setup for Methanol. A set of adjustable stacks were fabricated as well as a set of short 2-1/4” zoomies. I have a few photos under construction if I can find them but all other photos after completion were lost/destroyed by a jealous girlfriend. IMG_5090.jpegIMG_5088.jpeg

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Anglia that ran at the local track . The body shell and front fiberglass are in the barn. I got them after the car got rolled.
View attachment 136248
Reminds me of speaking with a guy that had a nice Anglia at Thompson one year. I commented on how nice his car looked. He said he just redid it due to crossing the stripe at 130+ the previous year...on it's side.... :flag :flag :crazy :guitar

Last edited:

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Reminds me of speaking with a guy that had a nice Anglia at Thompson one year. I commented on how nice his car looked. He said he just redid it due to crossing the stripe at 130+ the previous year...on it's side.... :flag :flag :crazy :guitar

Was that at MAR?