Drags at Fremont strip,Calif.

alshotride

Supporting Member 1
One of my favorite things to do was go to the Fremont drags. :love I ran a few time in grudge matches. One of my most aggravating things in those race days was I used to break rear ends all the time, :cuss never blew a tyranny. Any how I blew so many in my 59 Vett. that I used to carry a spare and everything I needed to change it out in the trunk of the 59. :cool: I got so good at it I could have one out and another in in no time at all. :bow
I was lined up at Fremont and the lights did there thing and we were off. Same old story tires smokeing ,fish tailing, gears banging then the rear end blew. :cuss I had another in and the car running in less than 2 hours. What fun!! :cheers ;)

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
changing rear ends, or whatever!

Try that today. Not as easy as it used to be. First thing is the bifocals get grease on them, and can't see. Next thing is trying to get up from under the car each time you need another wrench, because you forgot to take it under the car. Get the rear end in, then try to find the bolts, which were placed right where you knew where they were. OK, now which way to tighten them. Get the job done, and then walk around for 30 minutes trying to get all the kinks out of the muscles you just used. Used to be you just jumped up, now you roll over and try to crawl up the side of the car, grabbing anything you can to help pull yourself up. Rear ends now weigh more than they used to, also. So do trannys. Everything does. Gravity has increased over the years.
I'll bet no one argues with this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fred

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Fred, you ain't never lied! My T-10 gained 97 # since the last time I had it out. Dammed gravity! Bob

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Us 30

Bob, I see yopu are near Merriville. Ever raced at US 30? Probably a dumb question!!!!!!!!! I'll bet you could tell some stories about that place. I was there several times with the funny car. No other place like it, at least not that I was ever at. Never saw so much money being bet right out in the open. I mean when we went up the return road, they were standing in the stands with fists full of money. Woe be unto you if they had bet on you, and you lost!!!!!!!!!!!! One time I answered a question as to whether we were gojng to win. I mean, we weren't there to lose. Best 2 out of 3. Well, I was told real quick to NEVER answer that question. Luckily, we won. Not sure if I would be typing this if we had lost!!!!!

Fred

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Racing days

Yes Fred, we managed to race at 30 a good # of times. Most times I was a spectator. I time I raced there was in 71. I had run up against a good friend many times on the street. I had a 64 SS with a 350/300 and some bolt-ons. My buddy had a 69 SS/396 with a cam,headers,4.10 ,plus a Holley and Edelbrock intake. His turbo had a little disadvantage out of the hole and I always thought I could take him if we ran long enough for me to use 4th gear. We finally went to 30 to settle the score. He had a pair of 12" goodyears so he let me ust some ancient 7" recapped cheaters.Took about a month to wipe the smile off my face after I smoked him by about a fourth of the track.
You're right about the $$ changing hands.There were more $$ passed back and forth at that track than anywhere.
I drove my Blazer down the track late one night about 5 years ago. You cuold almost smell the $$$.
What was the name one your funny??? Bob...da Region Rat