dual quads

scotty t

Supporting Member 1
i know corvette had dual quads until 61 what about full size chevys also didn't 4spds come out in 59 in the fullsize cars

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
56-57 were the only years for factory installed 2x4 option on full size chevy. FI was still an option on 58 and 59 full size. 4 speed trans was dealer installed in 57 and probably 58 although it appears as an RPO in the 58 assembly manual, I don't think there has been any 58 documented with factory installed 4 speed. In 59 it was a factory option.

tripowerguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
In 1958 I ordered a 315HP 348 in a Biscayne. The only transmission available was the 3 speed close ratio box. I wanted to order one with a 4 speed and the dealer said that I could order a seperate 4-speed and he would install it. But here was the thing, NHRA would not allow you to run any dealer installed equipment in stock class. The only thing you were allowed to run was headers. You had to run the size tires that came on the car. 1959 cars were the first cars to come from the factory with 4-speeds. Thats my story and I'm stickin' to it.:D Roy

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Just FYI, dual quad & FI cars came with 3/8" fuel lines. All others had 5/16"

That's true on 56-57 but 58-64 and probably later had 3/8th fuel line if it had dual exhaust which was standard with a 4 barrel carb, FI, or multiple carbs.