dual snorkel air cleaner

smithd7

Well Known Member
Does anybody know who is offering a repro dual snorkel air cleaner? Looking for the large snorkel,I saw in a post somewhere that they are being reproduced but forgot where I saw the post.
Can anyone help me out?

:cheers

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Keep in mind that these are L-79 air cleaners NOT 400hp 409 air cleaners. There is a difference. The 409 air cleaners have DON'T have a squared ridge over the one snorkle like the L-79s do. The 409 air cleaners have the dimples all the way arround. Also, I think that the L-79 bases have a larger tube diameter than the 409s.
Ross

bobs409

Administrator
Thanks for that info Ross. I wondered if they were the same or not. I saw the L-79 air cleaner on the Ground up parts website.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
380HP 409

The black 62 380Hp air cleaners are being fabricated. That was what I was referring too, not the L-79. Guys are just adding a second snorkle to a 4-barrell air cleaner to make a 409. uh oh....does that make it a "clone"!!!!!

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Has anyone had any experence with the repo air cleaners for the 63 425 hp. I've seen them in some catalogs but don't know that I've ever seen one. Phil??????? If so, how do they compare to an original?

Tommy

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Air cleaners

Tommy:

We are a dealer for Show Cars. Their reproduction air cleaners are awesome!! You really can't tell them from NOS...except there aren't any NOS ones left. They are very, very nice. Don't have the pricing here at home but think the 62 is $670 and the chrome 63 & 64 is $770.

Availability is sketchy sometimes depending on their production schedule. They are not always in stock. But they are worthy of ANY show car!!

Hope this helps.

Phil

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Thanks Phil,
That's what I was hoping you would say. I bought a 63 425 car yesterday and it doesn't have the breather. Gotta get one.

Tommy

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Life is good :)

Tommy:

Another toy, that's what we like to see!

Hopefully there is room in the garage for another, and you didn't have to sell from the existing cache of muscle :)

How 'bout a description and possibly some pics when you get to know her better?

Best,
TomK

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Tom,
Actually. I added a small but tall addition on my garage. The addition is only16'x24' but has a 12 ft ceiling. I bought a "Backyard Buddy" which will just fit in the addition so I can stack 2 cars. This makes my garage 24X56. My property slopes off so that I was able to step the floor down 3 ft in the addition to gain the needed height. It's close to being finished, the sheet rock guys are coming this Saturday. I bought the Backyard Buddy while I was at the Turkey Run in Daytona during Thanksgiving. They said they were running 8-10 weeks behind so it should be here soon.
I'm really excited about the 409, I had one in 63 but have never owned one since. As you know, I have a couple 348, '61's but have never found the right 409. I was surfing through Ebay the other day and saw the car just as it was listed. The car wasn't listed well at all, hardly any decription and a few pictures that didn't show anything really. The car was with-in 4 hours of me and something just telling me to email the guy and see if he was interested in taking it off Ebay. I wouldn't buy a car sight unseen. So I did email him, he said sure he'd like to sell it ASAP. I hooked up the trailer and went to look at it, couldn't believe my eyes when I saw it!! With-in an hour, it was in my trailer and I was headed home. I've got a few things that I want to do to it but not much, it didn't have the factory breather so Phil is getting me one of those along with some other stuff. The car was frame-off'd about 10 years ago and hadn't been moved for 7 years. Probably one of the straightest 63's I've seen in a long time. More later

Tommy

Attachments

• 63 in garage.jpg
    63 in garage.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 220

bobs409

Administrator
Tommy, where does it end? :p :D

That is one nice looking '63! You have a really great collection going. Im extremely jealous too! :evil :D

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Bob,
I'm not planning the end so I hope it doesn't come anytime soon!!! Remember, the one who dies with the most toys, wins. I wanta win but not now!!!

Tommy:cheers

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
?????

Great car Tommy!!!

But..is that a space saver spare on the right front or did you trailer it home on the rim!!??????!!!!!

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Naw, it had American Mags (new style), looked like crap, I was taking them off when I was taking pictures. I put my Radirs on it, the red lines might have to go though. They were on my GTO
Tommy

Attachments

• 63 in garage # 3.jpg
    63 in garage # 3.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 162

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Great acquisition

Tommy:

Thanks for the pics. Really sharp looking auto.

How are you going to get all those neat cars out to the upcoming Convention?

Cheers,
TomK

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Ross,
It's called Palamar Red but it's real close to Honduras. The interior is black

Tom,
I don't see me making it to the convention, my big show for next season is the AACA Grand National Meet in Buffalo NY. I'll take my black 61 to that. I'll also go to a AACA National meet in Ashboro NC and of course, I'll take something to Hershey in the fall. Oh, yea, I forgot The Charlotte Auto Fair in April and Sept., I usually take a car to those events. Most of my showing is on the east coast, it cost too much money to drag the things across country plus I can't get away from work but I'll be think'n about yawl.
Tommy