Duel disc/disc master cylinder help please

Phalen409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Seems like I'm always asking for help, but I have exhausted the sources that I can to to find to locate a duel master cylinder to replace the original single chamber set up on my '63 Impala. I would prefer a billet system; but any help on any system,be it iron or aluminum, would be appreciated. I want to retain a period stock appearance as much as possible but would like to add a little more safety in the brake system. Ready to purchase and install as soon as I hear from you guys. I don't want to go to a disc set up at this point.

Many Thanks,

Dennis

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Late 60s impala with manual drum-drum brakes is all you have to ask
For at your auto parts store. Bought mine from OReilly for like $20-25. Will require a couple new hard lines to complete the install

GCAMINO

Supporting Member 1
I ordered a 1967 full size Chevy dual master with drum brakes, from the local parts store. It works fine.

Phalen409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Thanks for all the input folks. Never a shortage of good help here! By luck today, I found an aluminum duel master that is a drum/drum manual that is made for the early 60's impala. It is finished in "as cast" aluminum which is exactly as I wanted.

Tanks again for the help.

Dennis

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
If I'm not mistaken, you will not need a proportioning valve when you install a dual master cylinder that controls the drum/drum setup. You would if the fronts were disc. At least from what I understand.

Good luck!
TomK

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
There is a junction block involved in the dual brake system that has an electrical contact switch in the center of this block to detect a brake pressure imbalance or some sort of fluid loss. The result is the brake warning light on the dash panel. When I went to the dual master cylinder upgrade on my '62, I was able to get the junction block and mounting bracket off a '67 Impala in a salvage yard and bought a new '67 Chevy master cylinder . This junction block makes it easier to connect the two oddball size brake lines coming out of the dual master cylinder. I believe standard brake lines then connect from the block to the front and rear brakes. I have not wired up the warning light yet. Need to come with a plan there. Leo

BSL409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
If I'm not mistaken, you will not need a proportioning valve when you install a dual master cylinder that controls the drum/drum setup. You would if the fronts were disc. At least from what I understand.

Good luck!
TomK
I do not use the proportioning valve in my 61 or 62 with dual master and disc brakes but i only go 0 to 133 MPH but what do i know :crazy