Dyno Don impala

7d9_z28

Well Known Member
Does anybody here have any info or especially pics of Don nicholsons (62 or 63?) impala? ive read that it was infact one of the few z-11 cars out there.. wheres it at now? ive been googleing but only get results for die cast cars, which i have already!

THANK YOU!

BubbletopMan

Well Known Member
Dyno Don Z-11 pic

Are you wanting present day pics or old pics of the car? I don't have anything new, but I've got one really good pic of the car launching at Detroit Drag-O-Way back in '63. That car hooked so hard it looks like the bottom of the quarter panel was gonna drag the ground. I don't have it here, my Dad has it. I can post it tomorrow if you like. Jeremy

7d9_z28

Well Known Member

im looking for everything about it! new and old, info, everything. a lloooonnnggg time ago, at the dollar store, i got a 1/64 scale race car, i played with it all the time ( i was and still am a major hot wheels kid) and eventually, it became a demolision derby car ( as in a mean neighbor kid tried to set it on fire) and dented it. :bang and now im learning it is a don nicholson z-11 advertising jardine headers, dyno dons dyno shop, and m&h tires... with 430hp on the hood!

as a kid i didnt appreciate it, but now i treasure (whats left of it!)

so ive been looking for info on it, trying to learn more about history!

that pic would be great! thanks!

Rusty Everitt

Supporting Member 1
Look at the first "sticky" under the "Racing Days" section for an update on Dyno Don's car.
I wonder if Don's daughter ever got the car back, anybody have an update on this situation ?

walkerheaders

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
will these do?

Attachments

• dynolithochevy.jpg
    dynolithochevy.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 152
  • DYNOZ2.jpg
    DYNOZ2.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 165
  • DYNOZ3 (1).jpg
    DYNOZ3 (1).jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 157
  • DYNOZ4.jpg
    DYNOZ4.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 173
  • DYNOZ.jpg
    DYNOZ.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 181

gearhead409

Well Known Member
Scott Cornwell of flat rock,mi has the re-mains of nicholson's z-11 car. he has rebodied it and I think it is finished but I have never seen it. I know he has alot of history on the car. last contact numbers i had on him are 734-383-8436 and 734-782-0124. i use to meet up with him at swap meets but I haven't talked to him in a long time. he sort of dropped out of site, i wonder if he is ok.

BubbletopMan

Well Known Member
Hey Guys! Sorry for not posting these before now, went to a drag race last night and had a lot on my plate today. But, anyway, here are the two good photos I have of Don's '63 Z-11. I guess the black and white photo was taken later in the year because the hood is up in the back whereas in the color photo the hood is not. Obviously he was trying to get more air to the carburetors than the stock ram air system could produce. Hope you enjoy these! Jeremy

Attachments

• img018.jpg
    img018.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 168
  • img016.jpg
    img016.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 164

BubbletopMan

Well Known Member
A Little Somethin' Extra!

And since I had the old photos out, here's one for all you Ronnie Sox fans! Some of you are already aware of this, but take a look at what's towing Ronnie and Buddy's Z-11! Enjoy it, guys! Jeremy

Attachments

• img019.jpg
    img019.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 176

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Jeremy: Thanks allot great old photos. Do you remember where the color picture was taken? Fayetteville???
robert

BubbletopMan

Well Known Member
Robert, I have to confess that that picture was purchased from Gold Dust Classics out of Ashland, Va.. I did some research and found that Chapp & Bushey Oil Company is located in New Boston, MI, so I would have to assume that this picture also originated somewhere in Michigan. Maybe some of the other folks on here know more about where New Boston is in relation to surrounding dragstrips from the '60s. Jeremy

ROYALOAK62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Robert, I have to confess that that picture was purchased from Gold Dust Classics out of Ashland, Va.. I did some research and found that Chapp & Bushey Oil Company is located in New Boston, MI, so I would have to assume that this picture also originated somewhere in Michigan. Maybe some of the other folks on here know more about where New Boston is in relation to surrounding dragstrips from the '60s. Jeremy

Jeremy,

New Boston Michigan is west of Detroit and south of what is now Detroit Metro Airport.

That picture that shows Don car near that tanker truck in more than likely was taken at the old Detroit Dragway at Sibley & Dix Hwy. Southwest of Detroit.

Dave

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
That drag site was solved quickly now if I could find out about my 61 at a dealership in Norman Oklahoma. in 1980. I am just stuck trying to trace it's roots beyond then:dunno
robert

ROYALOAK62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
That drag site was solved quickly now if I could find out about my 61 at a dealership in Norman Oklahoma. in 1980. I am just stuck trying to trace it's roots beyond then:dunno
robert

Robert,

Just how much info. do you already have?

If that dealer is on longer around. One place to go is U of Oklahoma's library in Norman to see what they have in their archives. Or, just wild guess, ask them about news paper used car adds in 1980, if that's in the nature of your inquiry.

Dave

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Dave: I have a very detailed history since 1980 but know nothing about it before then at a dealership that had it which is now apparently closed. Thanks for the tips.
robert