E3 spark plugs

bill409mac

Has anyone used this brand in there 409 engine.? The spark plugs that were in my engine were autolite 403's. E3 web site says the 409 engine should use a E3.46 spark plug. When I comapred the autolite 403 to the new E3.46, the E3.46 is about 3/16 of an inc longer when placed side by side and lined up with the bottoming out flange. I dont know if thats the right clearance needed for the piston. Thanks in advance.

bill409mac

on second thought, im going to research this more. I need to find out the reason whoever built this engine used a shorter spark plug. The engine runs great with the shorter plug by the way. thanks, i'll keep trying to find out. If anyone has input I would greatly appreciate it.

3483x2

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I think your answer may be in different versions of 409's offered thru the years. Some went with shorter and then others offered with longer reach plugs.

I recall there were design changes to be concerned with though.

Looks like you're on the right track selecting the reach that matches your existing plug that works in your motor. ;)

poison ivy

Well Known Member
because 348 and 409 style heads may use short or 3/4 reach plugs , review the heads that you have, check the reach or depth of your spark plug holes. check everything....leave nothing to hearsay or i think...pi

jdk971

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
are these e3's really that good compared to others. thanks jim

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
I don't think management at AC DELCO and CHAMPION are losing any sleep over these plugs. Check out their website. Be sure to wear tall boots. Enough said.

4onthefloor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Diamonds,platinum, what the hell is next pearl electrodes ? I'll take my old AC plugs....but this almost sold me. "EPA SAYS E3 OFFERS "CLEAR ADVANTAGES" IN EMISSIONS CONTROL":roll

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
I got 'em

I have E3 in lawnmower, snowblower, S10 4cyl., chain saw. Soon to be in the 62. I'm sold on the advantages, not sure on how long they are going to live. By the way, Amazon has the best price and free shipping.

vin 58

Supporting Member 1
I saw a comparison test on Truck U on speed and it showed a larger spark than a regular plug. They couldn't say what the regular plug was. Vin