early 348 engine

Sal58

I have a 1958 Impala with a 348 engine, the heads are the early heads (791 casting I believe) ,can I replace these heads with the 333 409 heads and a 409 truck intake?

Reactions: Tim

Sal58

stamped code is T320G, March 20 1958, so the spot on the block that needs to be drilled is easy to locate?

Reactions: Tim

427John

Well Known Member
Also if you look at the thread 348 Tripower build gone wrong post #1 picture #17 or 18 it shows a good view of that area of the block deck,while the dimple isn't very visible (this block may have been decked) you can clearly see a stain where the cooling passage hole was in the head gasket.

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Look at Figures #1 and 2 and note the pads just above the spark plug holes. If you have those then locate the dimples and drill there.

...or not. If the pads are there, you are good whether you drill them or not, the heads shouldn't leak. If the pads are not there, it's obvious and you will have to block the hole in the 333s you plan to use. Do you need the holes? Not sure that question ever got answered, kinda like steam holes in SBC 400s, depends who you ask!