Early 348 starter question

58impala

Well Known Member
I will be changing the cast iron powerglide to a 200R4 in my 58 Impala and I need some help with chosing a starter. The original starter bolted to the adapter between the tranny and engine, but I won't be using the adapter with the 200R4. Eklers sells a plate about 3/16" thick which would allow the original starter to be used but I don't want to go that route unless I have to.

This early '58 engine has a boss cast in the block where the later model starters attached and has two tapped bolt holes in line with each other. Is there a starter that will attach to this boss and properly engage my 168 tooth flexplate?

The engine is out of the car and on a stand, but I'm about ready to re-install it, and I want to resolve the starter issue before I do. Thanks for your help.

Jim

w ogden

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
On my 348 I used a DB Electrical mini starter. It has worked flawlessly and was a decent purchase. You can find him on the internet thru google. Can't rrecall if it had a R terminal that you will need if you are running a resisitor for the ignition. You can check with him to verify this. Hope this offers you a option. Others will chime in I am sure.

Gerry

Supporting Member 1
Starter

Jim,

I have a mini-starter that came from Lamar Walden with in-line holes only. I
used it on my Suburban for a short time with a 168 T flywheel. If you interested
let me know. E-mail....Chevrolet409@sbcglobal.net

Gerry

Try using a starter from your local parts store.I used one for a 1965 409 with auto trans and it has worked flawlessly.

58impala

Well Known Member
I contacted DB Electrical and discussed my starter issues with them and they may have a solution. The fellow I spoke with seemed very knowledegable and the starter he suggested even has the three terminals, so my ballast resistor may wire up like the original starter without the use of a diode or additional solenoid. At least I hope that's the case. I'll post the part number of this starter if all works well, for the benefit of future inquiries.

Jim