Ebrake Warning

Biscayne409

Good morning all. Might someone here know whether or not my 1963 Biscayne 409 came from the factory with a switch to tell the EMERGENCY BRAKE when to come on? I see the part numbers for the bracket and for the switch itself. I don't see either one of these parts when I look at the ebrake pedal mechanism.

FWIW, I see the GM part numbers as:
  • switch - GM 3779118
  • bracket: GM 3785530

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

bobs409

Administrator
How times have changed. :D

Even at today's prices, how much would it really cost to have that on all cars? Back then probably $1 if that!

All it is would be a plunger switch, a piece of wire, socket and a bulb. (a #257 bulb by the way, the COOLEST one ever made, it blinks!!) I would think all the speedometers would have the brake light lens already. ??

Biscayne409

There's a BRAKE light in with all the other idiot lights in the dash. What I don't see is a bracket or a switch on the ebrake pedal setup. BOth the switch and the bracket are available on line.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Biscayne didn't come with this light. I say this because I learned that back up lights were an option on the Biscayne. The harness was in the car. The light sockets were there. The front harness was there. I had to add the switch and the bracket to the trans and I had to run a wire from the trans switch to the front harness under the dash. Was easy to find the wire/connector and some research told me where to drill a 1" hole (:confused) in the floor to run the wiring up thru and into the car.

Anyway, would love to know if the BRAKE light was a standard item , an option or not at all available on the '63 Biscayne. If it was available, I might add it.

Thanks

benchseat4speed

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
I've had only one 63 Impala, low option, radio delete car, bone original and unmolested. It did have that ebrake indicator light. It worked, and I think it flashed too. Can't remember for sure on the latter. It's right next to the odometer, across from the high beam light.

I have a handful of 63 Biscaynes and Bel Air's, daily driven a couple of em, and none of em had that brake light wired. Present, yes, but not functional. I will double check all of em as soon as I can because I'm curious now:rub