Edelbrock Heads

moes409

Well Known Member
I have never owned a set of aluminum heads and learned a little while purchasing and installing them recently. Some of this may have been brought up on a previous thread that I don't remember.

First of all, don't pay $1000.00 or more each for them. I shopped online and found them for $907.00 and used Summit's nice dollar less match price program paying $906.00 ea. including free shipping!
Second, I did the same with the Felpro #8007PT head gaskets and paid $93.00. As it turned out, the heads were delivered on Friday without the backordered gaskets. I wanted to get this done for a show on the 4th. So, I called the local O'Reilly's and got a set in two hours. They were only $39.40...Go figure!
Third, for anyone else new into aluminum heads. I was told by Madcap Racing here in Denver, to never use regular gaskets on them as the SS cylinder seals will damage the heads.
Fourth, The Edelbrock heads do not have the bosses that are cast into the stock heads. Therefore, any brackets have to be shimmed 1/4" for the belts to line up.

There are three other things that I noticed with these heads that probably have some explanation. The paint at the exhaust ports burned off immediately on the cast heads and no sign of heat with the Aluminum. The engine reaches operating temp much faster with the Aluminum? And, the exhaust has a noticeably however slight different tone.

This is a show car only and I have to say that so far, after about 100 miles, I am very happy with the new heads.

There was a thread here some time ago where, I believe Ronnie, said simply don't use roller rockers on stock studs. That was posted 4-6 months after I was up and running. As usual, he was right!

Don't do this at home!

019 (300x225).jpg

While I'm here, I now have a set of 690's, Scorpion roller rockers, and polylocks with about 1000 miles if anyone needs them.

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
You should also buy the heads bare........ for a show car the springs will be fine, but remember Edelbrock buys the springs by the box car load........ none ever get checked for spring pressure......... yes they are supposed to be "in spec", but there are huge differences. We have replaced all the Edelbrock springs on engines that want to make power..........

my opinion, just buy BWR and be done with it.

Dave

61belairbubbletop

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I don't recall anyone having any problems with that.
Do a search here. I don't think you'll find anything.

John Goodman

Hey, thanks guys. I did search the site for this information but didn't come up with an answer. The reason I asked is that I am having trouble fitting two 4500 Holley's on an 881 intake even when turning them 90 degrees. Linkage is a problem too. I didn't want to go through all the bother if in the end, the 881 didn't fit Edelbrock heads. It looks like it will be worth the effort.

John

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
4500s won't fit they are too wide as are double pumpers. You can turn 4224 660cfm center squirters sideways and trim the secondary shaft a little, or pull the vacuum secondary pots off and screw in the linkage to make them mechanical. That is what I ran in the 70s on mine. Offy or even Edelbrock has the adapters.

My 881's splash shield hit the bottom of the E heads when I test fit it. I did not pull it off but that is what hit on mine.Also the Edlebrock intake flows much better too, so another reason to use one..

John Goodman

Skip:

According to Offy and Edelbrock (and you), thier 2X4 maifolds will not accept the 4500's. Are you saying that both manufacturers have adapters for thier manifolds to accept Holley 4500 carbs? From what I see, carb spacing is still an issue with Edelbrock intakes but Offy does space them out some. To make things worse, Offy says thier manifold will not work with Edelbrock heads (???). It is beginning to look like I will use my two 750 cfm Edelbrock carbs/linkage and be done with it. Sure like those 4500's, though.

John

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
John,The offy manifolds are made for the smaller port [348's,340hp 409's and 409 truck ] heads.The Edelbrock's are made for the large port,high performance [380-425 hp] engines,and due to port mis-match,would not work.

John Goodman

Don:

Yup, Offy's are all small port intakes. If Edelbrock carb spacing were wider, I would be in tall grass with those Holley 4500's. Since I am building a 62 Impala hot rod and not at all worried about original equipment, I even considered a pair of Offy offset tunnel ram adapters. The more I though tabout that, the worse the idea became. But it would allow me to use the Holley's and linkage would be easy. Is there a manifold out there that fits these Edelbrock heads and has the carb spacing of Offenhauser? Apparently not.

John

Barry Taylor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Yes John your in luck, There is Hogans intakes, Wilson Intakes and Weinle motorsports out of Ohio I think. I'm sure there are others but these are some that come to mind first. good luck, BT

John Goodman

Barry:

Those custom fabricated intakes are sure nice but maybe a bit too extravagant for this application. The 62 Impala is a hot rod project but not going to be raced (OK, maybe a little street terror). I did a big no-no and had the Holley's built and tuned by Troy Patterson (see p-42 http://www.aera.org/ep/EPQ1-2011/index.html ) ahead of research to see if these carbs would even fit the manifold. So much for assumptions. These carbs are ment to be drop in and go but Troy is really up against it getting them mounted on my stock 881 manifold. He hasn't given up yet but soon may have to for reasons you folks have stated.

John

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
No they won't fit 4500 Dominators but will fit 4150/4160 "regular" Holleys like 600,650,660,700,750,800,830,850 or HP 4150s. You can use Offy's linkage for sideways Holleys. There is a picture here somewhere of my old motor with the 4160 715s sideways.

I always thought getting two of the 2" spacers that have an upper and lower flange and cut them at an angle bolt them to the intake then make a new top to slide Holleys end to end with a 4160(metering plate vs block) on the secondaries to get extra clearance, and weld it up. Kind of like the Ford side oilers ran two Holleys REAL close end to end. Almost like a tunnel ram top modified to bolt to a dual quad on the bottom. If you can heliarc aluminum coudl be done.

The guy I bought a 409 from in the 70s(Bill's Speed Shop inIrving Barry, and it had a leaking sleeve but I got a Z11 water pump out of it) had a 6 -2bbl plenum that bolted to a dual quad.