Edelbrock heads

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Price ??

I called them and they have not come up with a price yet ??? Will be available for sale on 27 Mar !

It will be hard to beat the price that Bob's charging and who know about the quality ?? Oh will, if your in the market get your check books out !!! :brow

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Are these heads for the lower horsepower 409's and 348's? There are no bolt holes over the intake ports. Skip

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
Port looks like hi- horse. Their intake also leaves the upper bolts off.:dunno Don't know why they do that.

I spoke with Lamar waldon today... about heads, intakes, yadda yadda.
He said that he's seen the Edelbrock head. Apparently, they have a combustion chamber... like an actual combustion chamber, 12-15 cc's bigger than a regular car head:doh .
Kind of a silly move, especially considering that the aluminum head will actually require MORE compresion ratio in order to be efficient. 10:1 would sem to be an absolute minimum.

Oh, the "Note"... makes me suspicious of the valves actually being in the factory location:nono1:

gearhead409

Well Known Member
Aubrey

that seems about right. a 1.720 ex. valve will bottom out on the 348 car block at about .600-.620. a .550 lift cam would give .050 clearance. looks good to me. but then again if these heads have a combustion chamber the valve could be installed deeper into the head?

Thirdyfivepickup

Supporting Member 1
Yeah, I'm told the 21st on complete heads and the 28th on the bare. Price... well, I'm wholesale... so I sell to shops. But I would guess that if mailorder doesnt whore them out... look for them to retail at $650-$700 ea for bare and $950-900 ea complete.

Again. This is just a guess with me having 10 years in the wholesale market. So not as bad as I thought... :)

(I could be completely wrong though... :) )

impalamike.com

Supporting Member 1
That's interesting information. Hopefully they will sell for that. I see that Edelbrock has posted a photo of a mocked up 409 with Edelbrock parts on their website:

Attachments

• 409_engine.jpg
    409_engine.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 112

Richard/SIA

Well Known Member
Are we EVERgoing to see a decent view of the combustion side of these heads?

How deep is their "Chamber" and what was Edelbrock thinking in adding it?

It appears some one on this site is likely to "Scoop" the magazines on this! :cool:

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
I will see them and Vic

Going to be at the show at Pheasant Run next week. I will take some pics and talk to Vic and Smitty about the heads.

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
The picture on their web site shows the "chamber" side (or it did last night) but it isn't a great shot. Looks to be pretty shallow area between the valves???

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
You can see on the casting picture that there will be a little more combustion chamber. Have a look at the picture in my post "Edelbrock is here"

Dave

Richard/SIA

Well Known Member
Yes there is a pic, too small to be useful!

I've also looked for a better pic in magazine ads.

I would also like an explanation for the modification, what is it supposed to improve?

If it's not an improvement it makes no sense to have done it.

I have a Summit Racing store about fifty miles away, but I expect they will not be stocking these heads. :dunno

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Not trying to run the new products down, because I expect them to be worth big benefits to most of us, but I don't think these answers will be answered until one or two of us actually take delivery. There is no way of telling if pictures are proto-types or of final version. Surely there will be much information coming soon because Edelbrock needs to sell the products. It will take patience. I really expect a big improvement from the intake manifolds, but without better information on the heads we are in the dark for now. I will guess $1,800 for the heads. When you consider the cost of iron GM heads, sounds like a very fair price, if my guess is close.

desapience

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The 348-409 "catch 22"?

Damned if they do, damned if they didn't?

Here we have a huge company, Edelbrock, stick their necks out to produce new products for the 349-409, and what kind of response do we see here on the site?

Far more negativity than anything else...

Heck, keep it up and what we'll see is Edelbrock discontinuing the new parts, and then what? With that, in a few years these same new heads, intakes and water-pumps, will be getting far bigger bucks than Edelbrock was initially asking for them, and the cry-babies will again be complaining that no-one is developing new more affordable, and better designed, 348-409 parts.

Guys, try being grateful and more open-minded.

What we need now are updated blocks, but, we will not EVER get them if, as a group, you keep shooting down the very kind of corporate guys who actually listened (to some of us) two years ago, and reached out and did exactly what almost no-one here said would ever happen.

These new parts will not put a dent in the 'gennie' 348-409 parts market, but, they will scoot the image and legacy of the "W's" to the generation behind us.

That is, if we don't blow it for the next generation of kids we all want to take notice.

The original "W's" had many design flaws and as such, they never reached their full potential, and if you all keep poo-pooing anything new that does come around -- you'll also learn the harsher lesson of.., what goes around, comes around.

Denis

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I don't think most of us are putting them down....... everybody is pretty excited about the new stuff....... but we are an impatient bunch it seems. As soon as there is some concrete information available it will end most of the negative comments that are being made........ I personally don't think it matters if they are better or worse than the factory stuff........ at least they are there and hopefully affordable to the average working guy so he can build a "W"....... everyone can't afford to buy original stuff at todays prices. Edelbrock does make decent stuff and I don't think they would go to all the work involved if they were not going to be up to their standard.

Dave