Edelbrock heads

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Denis, " far more negativity than anything else." ???? Guess we interpret things differently, I don't see negativity. :dunno

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
On Marketing and Hype

I also think we are just a bit impatient, I know I am. I'm not wizard at marketing, more like the "little guy" in what I do. But I do know that in order to create a buzz about something, assuming you have committed to produce a lot of components, is to put out information, even if to selected sources, about your product.

Look at the hype associated with the new Corvette ZR1. Man, the Big Four mags got all the spiel from GM, been talking about it for 8 weeks now, and not a single one of those mags has had a person behind the wheel. Lots of reviews, tons of opinions, lots of pics, none firsthand. Writers call it "premature adulation" :). Comes from press-kit photos and GM's previews.

On the other hand, a lesson I learned a long time ago is that if you build something of quality that no one else has, people will come to you. You don't need to advertise and market your product nearly as much.

That said, I'm all about the little guy, and if I were to buy aluminum heads (I'm not in that market just yet, I'm more "trailing edge" than "bleeding edge") most of you know I'd go with BWR :). He's a little guy who cares, and he's in it for the product, not the profit.

I expect Edelbrock to do well. I hope they do, and they continue to innovate and offer more "W" products. That is just great for the hobby, especially if they make money and we get quantity and quality. I expect lots of the guys on this Forum and elsewhere to purchase lots of their new "W" products. I expect we'll gripe and b*tch and moan a bit 'cause that's what we do when it's cold outside and we're typing out loud. I don't think big companies are afraid of collaborative communications that criticize their products based on lack of firsthand experience (I'm not convinced we are actually doing that, BTW). Even bad press is good for sales. They've done their market studies, know their costs and profit margins, and can operate in ways more efficient than most. That is why they stay in business.

That said, I'll stick to my old GM cast iron 690s and 583s for a while unless Phil is invited down my basement by my wife when I'm out of town :) :) :).

Cheers to all who have made the effort to produce quality new parts for old builds!

TomK

09Jud

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
the wrong message

As hard as we try to expain our feelings with typed words we dont allways get the our message across as we intended. some times you need to see the expresion on a persons face to see to know just what they are trying to say, Here in New York especialy ,not spelling properly dosent help ether :)

desapience

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Pushing Buttons, Part Ii

Denis, " far more negativity than anything else." ???? Guess we interpret things differently, I don't see negativity. :dunno

Ronnie,

Amazing when you push the correct button, much more 'positivity' follows!! :roll

Part II?

Blocks, updated blocks with BBC crank-cam dimensions, bores, timing sets, primary oiling, better oil return...

COME ON WORLD PRODUCTS. WE ALL KNOW YOU CAN DO IT!!!! :hug

DENIS

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Ronnie,

Amazing when you push the correct button, much more 'positivity' follows!! :roll

Part II?

Blocks, updated blocks with BBC crank-cam dimensions, bores, timing sets, primary oiling, better oil return...

COME ON WORLD PRODUCTS. WE ALL KNOW YOU CAN DO IT!!!! :hug

DENIS

Hmmmm, Me thinks we're kinda loosing the 409 thing here :dunno What's the point?

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I guess it's nice to see Edelbrock get beat up. for making a head. I thought I was the only one. I am worried that the same thing will happen when I get the block out. By that i mean soon as it's out we start a campaign to get Dart or World to also make blocks. This is a small market, which keeps costs high. There's probably not enough money in it for one guy to break even on the deal but worse with 3 or 4.
Anything I make I stand behind and there isn't any one who finds a problem that I won't try to fix.
We're refining the ports, and changing technics to make them better each time. Not sure what every one out there wants but I damn sure will try and get it for them.
When Aubry gets his manifold out, some one will need to buy it too. Once he see's how much it costs, I bet he starts scratching his head too. Region Rat

When Aubrey gets his manifold out, some one will need to buy it too. Once he see's how much it costs, I bet he starts scratching his head too. Region Rat

:doh :doh
Isn't THAT the truth, Bob:doh

I say the same thing. There isn't room for more than one or two players in this W block game. Edelbrock has the collosal advantage of being practically a household word. If they make make it, people will buy it... be it good, or maybe not so good.
If someone like Bob, or Rich, or Lamar, or myself make something... it has to be perfect... or at least a whole lot better.

How I see it:
Lamar and Rich have an EXCELLENT 2X4 intake, and Z11 style heads ( with 690/583 "race" style available soon ).
Bob has bolt-on 690/583 style heads, and is developing a block
I am going to try and fill in a gap, with a modern technology, single plane 4bbl manifold... small and large port.

That's it.
Somebody to step in with tooling and production of proper stamped steel timing covers, and perhaps a distributor that actually fits...

and we're in business:deal

I really don't see room for more:dunno ... unless someone is developing something really new... like maybe a bolt-on, modern computer controlled, efficient fuel injection system.
oh, and headers. Some readilly available, production headers, 1 3/4" , 1 7/8" , 2" tube, that FIT in chassis, exiting in the proper location, which can be had in the $400 - $600 range.

Don't need no "World" to come and save us:yawn:

W Head

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
parts

Well said Aubrey!!!!!!!!!:cheers

W Head

59 El Camino 348-3,2s
59 Impala 409-2,4s

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
My thoughts also !!!

Bob and Aubrey,

I agree with you... When I get ready, and I hope it's soon, my money is going to you guys for my upgrade ! Those other guys are in it for the money only and they don't love the "W" for what it is to a 348/409 owner !

Hope you are on the top of others list also. Thanks for all you have done and I know that if I buy from you it will be right ! :clap My hats off to you guys for all your efforts on our behalf.

Big Thanks

Bill

quik9r

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
eldeborck heads

Was at the Detroit Autorama Custom car show Saturday, well known show in the East. Edelbrock was there with big enclosed trailer/display and NO 409 stuff to look at!! Not even the water pumps ( already have one). We were really hoping to see the new heads and the response was "we should have been at Indy the week or two before they had a set there." The edelbrock guy said that the part number is loaded in the Jegs system and priced at 850.00 complete per head. Not complaining but I think if I were lauching a new product I would at least have one head on display at a large event like Detroit.

Kevin

Thirdyfivepickup

Supporting Member 1
Was at the Detroit Autorama Custom car show Saturday, well known show in the East. Edelbrock was there with big enclosed trailer/display and NO 409 stuff to look at!! Not even the water pumps ( already have one). We were really hoping to see the new heads and the response was "we should have been at Indy the week or two before they had a set there." The edelbrock guy said that the part number is loaded in the Jegs system and priced at 850.00 complete per head. Not complaining but I think if I were lauching a new product I would at least have one head on display at a large event like Detroit.

Kevin

They are on Jegs.com

http://www.jegs.com/i/Edelbrock/350/60819/10002/-1

$2151.98 for a set

BROOKLYNSS409

Well Known Member
:doh :doh
Isn't THAT the truth, Bob:doh

I say the same thing. There isn't room for more than one or two players in this W block game. Edelbrock has the collosal advantage of being practically a household word. If they make make it, people will buy it... be it good, or maybe not so good.
If someone like Bob, or Rich, or Lamar, or myself make something... it has to be perfect... or at least a whole lot better.

How I see it:
Lamar and Rich have an EXCELLENT 2X4 intake, and Z11 style heads ( with 690/583 "race" style available soon ).
Bob has bolt-on 690/583 style heads, and is developing a block
I am going to try and fill in a gap, with a modern technology, single plane 4bbl manifold... small and large port.

That's it.
Somebody to step in with tooling and production of proper stamped steel timing covers, and perhaps a distributor that actually fits...

and we're in business:deal

I really don't see room for more:dunno ... unless someone is developing something really new... like maybe a bolt-on, modern computer controlled, efficient fuel injection system.
oh, and headers. Some readilly available, production headers, 1 3/4" , 1 7/8" , 2" tube, that FIT in chassis, exiting in the proper location, which can be had in the $400 - $600 range.

Don't need no "World" to come and save us:yawn:

:cheers Lots of good info here!

I saw something on TV a few weeks ago. It was about Muscle car engines. LAMAR was showing his aluminum 409 set for $2500. I think they were complete @ that price. He said that people shouldnt use the original parts for racing. They should use aftermarket parts for racing and save the OE for preservation.

Did anybody see the show?

LAMAR had a stock 409 that only tested to 406 HP. I thought I saw the HP go as high as 460 but I'm not sure what I saw.

I was a little dissapointed. The show gave all the glory to the Hemi with the ford 460HP in 2nd. I think the 409 was 3rd place.

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
:cheers Lots of good info here!

I saw something on TV a few weeks ago. It was about Muscle car engines. LAMAR was showing his aluminum 409 set for $2500. I think they were complete @ that price. He said that people shouldnt use the original parts for racing. They should use aftermarket parts for racing and save the OE for preservation.

Did anybody see the show?

LAMAR had a stock 409 that only tested to 406 HP. I thought I saw the HP go as high as 460 but I'm not sure what I saw.

I was a little dissapointed. The show gave all the glory to the Hemi with the ford 460HP in 2nd. I think the 409 was 3rd place.

:scratch Yeah I saw that show. The "stock" hemi made something like 830hp.:rolleyes: