Edelbrock is here

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Nothing like a little controversey to liven the old forum up. Be forewarned that your " back and forth " aint nothing compared to something that will break later on today. As far as aluminum w-heads go, I will voice this prediction. Edelbrock aluminum heads-- aimed toward street market-- $2,000 Bob's heads sell for $3,000 Waldens heads $4,000 to $5,000 ( a guess ) People will now have options as to what head they want to buy for their purpose. Up until recently we have had little option. No matter how you look at it, things are getting better.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Nothing like a little controversey to liven the old forum up. Be forewarned that your " back and forth " aint nothing compared to something that will break later on today. QUOTE]

Hot Damn, I hope this doesn't have anything to do with me! I've been trying to fly under the radar lately!

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Nothing like a little controversey to liven the old forum up. Be forewarned that your " back and forth " aint nothing compared to something that will break later on today. QUOTE]

Hot Damn, I hope this doesn't have anything to do with me! I've been trying to fly under the radar lately!

This is , at the very least, quite comical. Hey, did you guys know that a 58 sedan delivery is butt ugly? I'll have to agree with that assinine comment as 1958, 1959 and 1960 Chevys got to be the ugliest cars that Chevy ever made! But they are now commanding top dollar and I love every one of them.
I can hardly wait for the "Shell answer man's" next dumb comment.:evil

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
Ronnie the more options us odd ball guys(Ws, Pontiacs etc) have the better so we can build the motor for our dream project. I agree with your descriptions of what will probably come out. Tell Barry hi and tell him Ken Swayze came down here fro a chili cookoff and I saw him for the first time in 30 years! He still said he wakes up every day kicking himself for selling his hemi Cuda for that drag boat.

58- my folks had a 58 283 3 speed overdrive wagon when I grew up we took on some long trips.

Shoot about the end of the day what's breaking???

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
This is , at the very least, quite comical. Hey, did you guys know that a 58 sedan delivery is butt ugly? I'll have to agree with that assinine comment as 1958, 1959 and 1960 Chevys got to be the ugliest cars that Chevy ever made! But they are now commanding top dollar and I love every one of them.
I can hardly wait for the "Shell answer man's" next dumb comment.:evil

I don't know about the cars but I'm kind of a sixty footer! :stooges

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Nothing like a little controversey to liven the old forum up. Be forewarned that your " back and forth " aint nothing compared to something that will break later on today. As far as aluminum w-heads go, I will voice this prediction. Edelbrock aluminum heads-- aimed toward street market-- $2,000 Bob's heads sell for $3,000 Waldens heads $4,000 to $5,000 ( a guess ) People will now have options as to what head they want to buy for their purpose. Up until recently we have had little option. No matter how you look at it, things are getting better.

Yeah it's all good. I bet we'll see a lot more fast 409's on the dragstrip in the next few years. I'm hoping that Bob and Rich can sell enough heads to make their efforts worthwhile. I'm looking forward to seeing some of these new heads teamed up with the new aluminum blocks.

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
now ,,, now,,boys,,, lets play nice !!!:hug

I will wait to see whats coming later today,,

As far as prices go I will bet that Rich`s heads will sell for around the same prices as bob`s !!

Now that will make it interesting,,EH????

And ray,,, don`t fly too low,,,,, might just get some ugly on your face !!!:roll

No controversy, I KNEW Skippy was bleating about Pontiac stuff, and not W engine parts, as he has NO experience with any head gasket/aluminum head/cast iron block W ENGINE. He does that kind of double talk all the time here.

Therefore, he has nowhere to talk about gasket failures on aluminum head W engines. His implication about gasket failure was/is that it will happen like clockwork if a certain manufacturer/s gasket is used, but, he has no testing, nor data to support it for our W Chevy engines. Pontiac, sure, yes, OK, but not W engines.

That was my point. And, someone needs to go retrieve their village idiot, he's loose again, and driving around in an ugly single color beige 58 delivery.

The two tone paint avatar 58 delivery sure is a lot nicer than that single color beige 58 delivery.

fourspeed409

Well Known Member
Intake

I have a picture of what I thought was the Performer RPM Air Gap 2x4. It has the spec sheet standing beside it for the "W" engine but I am not sure that it is a "W" intake. It isn't an Air Gap in the pic by the looks of it. pn 5408/5409 MSRP is $349. I have a higher res pic if someone wants me to mail it to them so they can post it here.

Shane

Attachments

• 409 intake.jpg
    409 intake.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 150

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
No controversy, I KNEW Skippy was bleating about Pontiac stuff, and not W engine parts, as he has NO experience with any head gasket/aluminum head/cast iron block W ENGINE. He does that kind of double talk all the time here.

Therefore, he has nowhere to talk about gasket failures on aluminum head W engines. His implication about gasket failure was/is that it will happen like clockwork if a certain manufacturer/s gasket is used, but, he has no testing, nor data to support it for our W Chevy engines. Pontiac, sure, yes, OK, but not W engines.

That was my point. And, someone needs to go retrieve their village idiot, he's loose again, and driving around in an ugly single color beige 58 delivery.

The two tone paint avatar 58 delivery sure is a lot nicer than that single color beige 58 delivery.

Quit calling yourself an idiot ignitoboy, you're much worst than that!:roll :roll

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Let's all have a beer & count to 10........ we have 3 different aluminum heads.... 3 different prices I'm sure...... one will be over the counter at Jegs & Summitt ..... and as stated probably cheaper.......... but we now have 3 choices other than stock!!!!

I'm sure that Edelbrock has made enough aluminum manifolds to know what will work........

Let's not all get wound up about any of these heads until we have some of each on running engines......... What are there..... maybe 3 or 5 sets out there with a very few miles on them...... at this point I would say that any of them could warp or crack...... there is a lot of difference in grades of aluminum........ and probably many different casting practices that could make a difference.......

Time & miles will tell.

Dave

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
Ignitionman- I never implied it would happen like clockwork and even have a set of the suspect types on my current Pontiac,but Cometics going on the new 500" Pontiac. Just pointing out a potential issue for us to watch for and not milkshake and ruin a nice W motor. I don't even know if FelPro has that design for Ws.

With the very few aluminum W heads out there currently I'm sure you have LOTS of first hand knowledge of them with various gasket types to correct me. Please list them for us all to qualify your expertise on the subject!

If you never look at different designs on different makes/brands-their good points and bad points we'd still be using single master cylinders and drum brakes, powerglides, two piece valves with single valve springs and thin shim head gaskets and wondering why we have failures running 93 octane!! Why do you think Bob,Rich and Lamar have changed some things for the all knowing factory specs that are 40 years old now?? To give us a better W motor we can run since replacement parts are still hard to come by. Why should they even make their new heads if we just don't need them?

So summary when we get more aluminum W motors out there (going to happen soon) if there is a fire ring head gasket please report if they have failures.

Or are you just Edelbrock bashing because the pi$$ed you off?, obviously not hard to do:)

I'll say it again it is great with the new computer age of casting small interest parts can be made affordably and give us multiple choices. I still from a business point see that Edelbrock can come out in the black with W motor water pumps(yes I do have one so I don't have to use my Z-11 one), and W heads as small a niche as we W folks are. If they do they wil be a decent entry head I would bet, probably not the "perfect" head but I guess there is only one guy here that knows what that is, but I don't see himcasting any!

wagon409

Interesting

....he has NO experience with any head gasket/aluminum head/cast iron block W ENGINE. He does that kind of double talk all the time here.

Now I don't know Ignitionman personally, so I am wondering if he being somewhat facetious or if he is really as big an *** as he comes across on this board. With each post of his I read, I am becoming more and more convinced of the later.

Marc

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Now I don't know Ignitionman personally, so I am wondering if he being somewhat facetious or if he is really as big an *** as he comes across on this board. With each post of his I read, I am becoming more and more convinced of the later.

Marc

Amazing, isn't it!

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Aluminum heads have been on Chevys since the late 60s. Thousands and thousands of aftermarket heads are out there, both big block and small block. Is there a problem?? More new cars than not now have aluminum heads. As chevytaylor said, re-torque after engine is heated up.

I guess new gasket technology has helped quite a bit but it was always SOP to re-torque after break in, cast iron or alum.

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
OK guys,,,,
If one becomes an as* you all become an as* !!!
Don`t feed the fire,,

biscaynewagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Sometimes I wonder about the days that this board has a lots of valuable information on w engine and good joke.

Now, its kinda like watching a mix of action movie and soap opera :argue: :stooges :doh