Edelbrock Large Port 2 x 4 Intake

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Has anyone else ran into this problem, trying to mount my 3804 and 3361 carbs on my Edelbrock intake and 2 of the four bolt holes on each carb don't align up (the rear drivers side & the front passenger side holes). I really don't want to drill out the base on my carbs, what's wrong with Edelbrock that they can't drill and tap all the holes to accommodate factory carbs.

wristpin

Well Known Member
Has anyone else ran into this problem, trying to mount my 3804 and 3361 carbs on my Edelbrock intake and 2 of the four bolt holes on each carb don't align up (the rear drivers side & the front passenger side holes). I really don't want to drill out the base on my carbs, what's wrong with Edelbrock that they can't drill and tap all the holes to accommodate factory carbs.
I know it seems stupid as....Biden....but wouldnt it be better to have intake holes Tig welded shut then drill and tap proper location?

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I hope Edelbrock has not decided to get too "liberal" with their manufacturing tolerances. We know what happens to the product quality when not adhering to basic common sense. Maybe Edelbrock "elected" to force a change on the community because it fit their own personal feelings rather than what they promised. I wonder if "Biden's" corvette has any Edelbrock products on them? I bet it would not take a DOJ inquiry if "Biden" would have received that intake manifold!

Got another one to protect from themselves Bob.

F-JOE BIDEN

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
The holes aren't in the wrong place they just didn't drill and tap all of them, the boss is there but not drilled and tapped. The engine is all together so now I need to drill and tap without busting thru the bottom of the casting and getting crap inside the intake. I think I would rather do this than drill extra holes in my carburetors. If I would have noticed this before the intake was installed it would have been an easy fix. :doh

Gofish

Well Known Member
I hope Edelbrock has not decided to get too "liberal" with their manufacturing tolerances. We know what happens to the product quality when not adhering to basic common sense. Maybe Edelbrock "elected" to force a change on the community because it fit their own personal feelings rather than what they promised. I wonder if "Biden's" corvette has any Edelbrock products on them? I bet it would not take a DOJ inquiry if "Biden" would have received that intake manifold!

Got another one to protect from themselves Bob.

F-JOE BIDEN

Seriously? How about a moderator here. I’ll give it a week, then I’m out.

John

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Steve,,,,,,,its my understanding the intake you have by reading edelbrock applications is that it was intended for edelbrock carbs 500 thunder series and avs which have been matched to work toghether. No where that i see it fits older factory carbs that i read. I'm not defending edelbrock or bashing you either . Maybe you can make it work on your own modifications. Like to hear your fix , maybe have to remove from engine as you say and drill and tap????? Might be helpfull for others that are doing the same???

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The holes aren't in the wrong place they just didn't drill and tap all of them, the boss is there but not drilled and tapped. The engine is all together so now I need to drill and tap without busting thru the bottom of the casting and getting crap inside the intake. I think I would rather do this than drill extra holes in my carburetors. If I would have noticed this before the intake was installed it would have been an easy fix. :doh

I think I'd pull the intake then drill

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2

John

I apologize to 409gang for stealing his thread.

This is all Wristpins fault :D

You sir literally posted about a non car topic, then added your political opinion. You did exactly what you told us not to do. Seems a bit hypocritical to me. Additionally, you could have simply ignored the post. However you decided to force your opinion on us. Therefore you are open to others opinions. Now like some here, instead of being an adult, you whine like a child for the moderator to protect you from yourself. And you wonder why they say liberalism is a mental disorder.

Last edited:

wristpin

Well Known Member
:yupDon't hold your breath unless BLUE is your favorite color... :confused

Steve, I would tape it all up and drill and tap it out using a good shop vac...
Scary to get remnants into intake but Tooth has a good idea. If you use vacuum maybe also lay an old shirt under the hole location when you drill to catch anything that might get past vacuum nozzle. At least its 2 holes and not more. Good luck.
Go Fish i was trying to inject a bit of humor. I do apologize for ticking you off.

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Steve,,,,,,,its my understanding the intake you have by reading edelbrock applications is that it was intended for edelbrock carbs 500 thunder series and avs which have been matched to work toghether. No where that i see it fits older factory carbs that i read. I'm not defending edelbrock or bashing you either . Maybe you can make it work on your own modifications. Like to hear your fix , maybe have to remove from engine as you say and drill and tap????? Might be helpfull for others that are doing the same???
Don you might be right, I bought this intake (new) off of Ebay about a year and a half ago from an individual as at that time they were almost impossible to get from an Edelbrock vender. Never checked into the bolt pattern I just assumed since it was a large port 409 intake it would have had a bolt pattern for factory carbs. The casting has the boss's there for the factory bolt pattern just not drilled. I hate to molest my factory carbs (3804 and 3361) and would rather drill and tap the intake, I'll let everyone know the outcome.

benchseat4speed

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Let’s try to focus on car topics here. No body cares about our other opinions.

Thanks,

John

I care about your opinion as long as you aren't a liberal.

John

He merely mentioned the word BIDEN, with a single reference to stupid. That's it. Thats all it takes for your hypersensitive ass to call for a moderator? Good God a week can't go by fast enough.