Edelbrock water pump real world test

63z11

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I know you guys have talked alot about the different pumps out there for our engines. Thought I'd share my experience from the weekend. On my 62, 11 to 1 09, 690 heads, isky solid, Griffin radiator, 160 stat. I was running a RW or Walden pump. I've had it for years from the Aluminum headed Z11 engine. It started to leak a little and make noise a week or so ago. A friend had a new edelbrock unit just sitting ther for his 348 stroker project. He told me to throw it on and just replace it. I put it on Saturday, car went from running at 175-180 to running right on the 160 stat all the time. Seems like a real nice piece.

P.S. he has edelbrock heads and intake as well.........maybe I should try those too!!!!!:cheers

hogmotors

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
"I've had it for years from the Aluminum headed Z11 engine."
I think those heads are a BIT different!!

desapience

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
CRW is not up to par with even a stock pump

I know you guys have talked alot about the different pumps out there for our engines. Thought I'd share my experience from the weekend. On my 62, 11 to 1 09, 690 heads, isky solid, Griffin radiator, 160 stat. I was running a RW or Walden pump. I've had it for years from the Aluminum headed Z11 engine. It started to leak a little and make noise a week or so ago. A friend had a new edelbrock unit just sitting ther for his 348 stroker project. He told me to throw it on and just replace it. I put it on Saturday, car went from running at 175-180 to running right on the 160 stat all the time. Seems like a real nice piece.

P.S. he has edelbrock heads and intake as well.........maybe I should try those too!!!!!:cheers

I ran a carefully controlled comparison between the CRW unit and a stock rebuilt unit a few years ago and posted the results in the products test section.

The CRW, by direct comparison, failed to cool as good as a rebuilt stock pump by a statistically significant margin.

The stock rebuilt pumps also cool nearly as well as the new Edelbrock pumps. There is no significant difference between them.

For my money, the Edelbrock pumps are better, the stock rebuilt units next, and the CRW might be a nicer pump if it had a cast impeller, rather than a cheapo ill-fitting SBC pressed unit.

Many who have cooling problems with their W's have improperly placed fan-shroud installations, with nothing wrong with their water pumps. You can overdrive them a bit, but, the typical reason that works better has to do with more air being drawn through the radiator (by a mechanical fan), versus a larger volume of water being pumped). That was conclusively shown to be true long ago (remember Jim?).

Denis

Denis