Engine gasket set?

Wrencher427

After a long hiatus, I'm ready to assemble my '63 435/409 and I need a gasket set, rings and bearings. I really like Felpro gaskets, and I want Clevite 77 bearings. Is this still an option for the 409? This is an all standard engine and I want to do do it right. Any and all advice is appreciated

As a disclaimer, I've been building V-8's since '73, so I know my way around an engine.

Hans

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
How far down in the hole is your piston? This will determine what thickness gasket you will need to keep your quench correct. You may have to use a different brand head gasket to get your correct quench. I believe Cometic can get you any thickness you like. You can also get the steel shim gaskets and double them if required. There are many options. Is this a 425 horse 409 or a 435 horse 427 z-11 style? With the info you gave us it is a little confusing.

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Show Cars sells both FelPro and "Best" brand gaskets. The Best head gaskets aren't as good as the Felpro's.

Wrencher427

My bad, it's a 425 horse. It was in a '61 Belmont boat, and when my brother-in-law wrecked the boat, I got the engine. It had a single 4 barrel manifold on it, but I have the correct 2x4 and exhaust manifolds for it. I'll get the short block assembled and go from there. It had a set of sandwich head gaskets on it that I'll measure for now. Thanks for the tips!

Hans

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
My bad, it's a 425 horse. It was in a '61 Belmont boat, and when my brother-in-law wrecked the boat, I got the engine. It had a single 4 barrel manifold on it, but I have the correct 2x4 and exhaust manifolds for it. I'll get the short block assembled and go from there. It had a set of sandwich head gaskets on it that I'll measure for now. Thanks for the tips!

Hans
If you mockup the engine you can see how far down the hole you are. You want to be around .040 quench. Find a gasket thickness that's available and you can shave the block to fit. It may need to be cleaned up anyway. Cometics are really good quality. I just put a set on mine. Got several sets for customers also. Fel pros are less expensive but you can re-use the Cometics. Theyt do like a very smooth flay mating surface. Bob

58 Apache

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Ray if your getting a block squared up anyway the deck is cheaper. then ordering custom pistons. Another thought would he resize the rods a little longer. I prefer taller deck and thinner gasket to get the quench, it usually loss less compression that way.