Engine Oil Leak

Randy Maurstad

Well Known Member
Having a hard time finding a rear engine oil leak. Heres what i know... Oil in the bell housing area out of the inspection cover. Rear mail is dry ( I used a dye, so dont think its the rear main). Had oil around the spin on filter , rear oil pan. Easy to see with the dye, but of coarse oil gets sprayed everywhere. Rear of engine dry, intake etc, valve covers OK. Looks like a external leak that gets into the inspection cover.. is that possible? Anyway oil can get from a spin on filter, external leak into the cover? I put silicon across the back of the oil pan, thinking it was traveling down into the cover... any ideas?.. Thanks

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
I have read that the spin on adapters leak. Mine does too. I get wetness in the bellhousing lower cover area.

58 Apache

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I almost had that problem

:? When I put my last spin on filter on the engine was on the engine stand and the bolt that on the bottom left of the block that goes thru the block at the oil filter was too long and it cut the o-ring on the filter base. When I pre-lubed I found the leak aand fixed it.