engine paint

rich hunter

I've been looking at a lot of 63-64 engine bays... why is it that so many 409's are painted red?
The paint spec calls for chev orange on all engines. is the red just something that caught
car owners or is there more to this? thanks Rich

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
There is an off-the-shelf Orange color in rattle cans that has a bit of Red in it, not that far off the correct "Chevy Orange", maybe that's what you're seeing?

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
That’s the one I use Tom. They call it Chevy red/orange. I think it matches the 55-57 years. The color Chevy used then had more red in it. I like it better than the straight orange.

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
1955 265’s were a Chevy orange, then in 1956 for some stupid reason they changed to “red”!

Just painted the 225hp 265 the 56 RED.

Then, Chevy still trying to find themselves used a green on the 57 265’s, really ugly.
I believe after that the settled in on Chevy orange other than the truck engines and some sorta silver/green valve covers LOL

BA050399-9EBD-473C-BE26-E37A692D982E.jpegAF9D5B04-1C42-43DE-8F13-CFD46F4A1B81.jpeg

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Yep, most were thrown away. It’s really stupid heavy.

It was amazing how the passenger cars got this behemoth and the corvettes got the little aluminum units.

This is an original 225HP 265.

Complete from air cleaner to oil pan.
Has the dual point distributor also. Rebuilding the water pump and fuel pump.