Engine Popping after Simple Points Replacement went really bad

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Though he mentioned that he took the car in for poor running do to faulty points.
Sounds to like this was the problem to begin with.
Yep. Take a car in for a tune up and they get 7 cylinders tuned and firing like they should but one has other problems beyond a tune up. That is what you have here. If anything it should sound much worse then when you took it in if they did their job and got the engine tuned correctly given the issue with the #8. When I bought my 64' Conv. it was running on 5 cylinders and had no power. My dad and I drove 3 blocks from the guy I bought it from over to a Casey's parking lot and did a quick tune up. We knew from driving it before when we bought the car that it probably just needed plug wires, plugs. I think we adjusted the timing too. I drove it home an hour and half away. Changed the points out when I got home and not only did this thing have power but for the first time I found I had POSI because I almost wrecked the Conv. when it broke loose.

our1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Well fellas it's not looking good... see video link below... Is this definately a cam lobe or something else I can try without pulling the motor? The rocker is a bit looser on # 8 than the others but not sloppy.
#8 Exhaust Valve

It's too late now, but did anyone change the oil in the car and forget too and ZDDP or a oil with zinc additive : Larmar's shop would be your best bet at mentioned quality work and $$$$ but everything will be done right with many years of experience with W motors.

Hoyt99

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I can see the irregular exhaust valve lift now that Don was kind enough to show me where and exactly what to observe.

I too hope it is as easy as a bent pushrod. if it is, I wonder what caused it to bend? How about a rocker nut was slightly loose which caused it to bend and you can tighten it up and everybody lives happily ever after.....

Best of luck for a happy ending.

Chip
63 425hp