Engine rebuild plan

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
There is a possibility that the engine was installed using SBC mounts. This might help by raising the engine a bit:

Anchor motor mounts
409 engine 2285
SBC engine 2267

nana1962409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
That’s a nice looking car! Boxerdog is correct the different mounts might help with the header clearance. The alternator belt looks normal for clearance to me and is about how much room I have with mine also so I wouldn’t worry too much about that. The casting numbers for the heads are under the valve covers. The picture you posted of the intake casting number is actually your firing order the actual casting number is behind the rear carb. That steering shaft looks like it has been modified for some reason. The carbs do not use any linkage on the passenger side to connect the two together.

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I noticed the front carb is not correct for a 2 X 4 409 as it has been drilled for a choke shaft and plugged up. That is a good looking car and should be a lot of fun!!

Last edited:

Darkfader

That’s a nice looking car! Boxerdog is correct the different mounts might help with the header clearance. The alternator belt looks normal for clearance to me and is about how much room I have with mine also so I wouldn’t worry too much about that. The casting numbers for the heads are under the valve covers. The picture you posted of the intake casting number is actually your firing order the actual casting number is behind the rear carb. That steering shaft looks like it has been modified for some reason. The carbs do not use any linkage on the passenger side to connect the two together.
Firing order?!?!? Haha, I feel dumb. I figured out the casting numbers for the heads are under the VC’s. Thanks for all the info, I’ll need to research the steering a bit further I guess.
I noticed the front carb is not correct for a 2 X 4 409 as it has been drilled for a choke shaft and plugged up. That is a good looking car and should be a lot of fun!!

Jeez. Lots of mismatching going on with this car. I guess you’ll have that with cars this age. I foresee throwing an edlebrock top end on it eventually so maybe I’ll get nice matching carbs at that point.

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I just noticed in your other pictures that the front carb has no curb idle adjusting screws. This is correct for a front carb, it maybe someone changed out the top cover for some reason. Check the number on the passenger side front mounting flange just in front of the mounting stud it should be 3361S if so you have the right carb with the wrong top cover.

Darkfader

I just noticed in your other pictures that the front carb has no curb idle adjusting screws. This is correct for a front carb, it maybe someone changed out the top cover for some reason. Check the number on the passenger side front mounting flange just in front of the mounting stud it should be 3361S if so you have the right carb with the wrong top cover.

When you say "top cover" are you referring to the chrome air cleaner?

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Yes block casting date sounds ok for early 62 and vin sequence. I am just suggesting my next item since you appear to have a decent equipped shop and seem to appreciate proper detailing. “if” you pull engine while it is in the shop why not unbolt the front clip and really have a head turner and redo things nicely including replacing or reforming the fan shroud and radiator. I know this comment will generate “chatter” but as you all know I appreciate a nice engine compartment.
Robert
4D02276A-C8DF-4A25-A6E2-3CCCD6D86E95.jpeg

Darkfader

Rstreet, that’s exactly what’s about to happen. I’ve spent the last few days looking around the Internet at some vendors pages. Certainly the right radiator and shroud are on the list. Clean engine bays are happy engine bays. This car deserves that. Your engine bay is like ooh la la. Very nice indeed! I’m going to be asking a lot of questions on this forum to make sure I do everything right.

Darkfader

Well gentlemen, it was a short weekend, too short. I had a lot of projects on the to-do list, but only a few were possible. I do have some really good news regarding the '64. I was able to do a compression test. All 8 cylinders were between 185-190 psi. I'm very pleased with that. I didn't have time to do the leak-down. I want to set aside plenty of time to be sure it's done properly. I'll probably raise it up a bit and rotate the crank by hand from underneath. It looks like having the incorrect fan shroud is going to make getting a socket and ratchet on the crank bolt difficult.

The results of the compression test have me rethinking doing anything to the bottom end at this point. I'll see how the leak down goes, hopefully next weekend, and go from there. I know I need an air filter with the flange for that duel snorkel air cleaner. From what I have seen, that's the '64 air cleaner? I'll pick up a new set of spark plugs this week as well to put in after the leak down. Is there a preferred plug for this '62 engine?

I will say that when I started it up to get up to temp for the compression test, a lot of clear moisture came out of the driver's side tail, and a lot of sooty moisture came out of the passenger's side. The car seems to run and sound great and throttle response is also very nice. But I know that after a while out on the road, there is a good bit of smoke out of the exhaust. I want that to stop.

I may go ahead and invest in new suspension bushings and get started on that because I definitely know the car needs all of that. I'll report back as I learn more.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
My guess the ring lands are worn out on the pistons, a rebuild is in it's future if you want to take that on.