EPA and Race Cars

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
This literally just came across my desk from SEMA. Share the hell out of this, and get mad, racers!

"EPA Seeks to Prohibit Conversion of Vehicles into Racecars. SEMA To Oppose Action As Threat to Modified Racecars and Parts Suppliers

Washington, DC (February 8, 2016) – The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has proposed a regulation to prohibit conversion of vehicles originally designed for on-road use into racecars. The regulation would also make the sale of certain products for use on such vehicles illegal. The proposed regulation was contained within a non-related proposed regulation entitled "Greenhouse Gas Emissions and Fuel Efficiency Standards for Medium- and Heavy-Duty Engines and Vehicles—Phase 2."

The regulation would impact all vehicle types, including the sports cars, sedans and hatch-backs commonly converted strictly for use at the track. While the Clean Air Act prohibits certain modifications to motor vehicles, it is clear that vehicles built or modified for racing, and not used on the streets, are not the "motor vehicles" that Congress intended to regulate.

"This proposed regulation represents overreaching by the agency, runs contrary to the law and defies decades of racing activity where EPA has acknowledged and allowed conversion of vehicles," said SEMA President and CEO Chris Kersting. "Congress did not intend the original Clean Air Act to extend to vehicles modified for racing and has re-enforced that intent on more than one occasion."

SEMA submitted comments in opposition to the regulation and met with the EPA to confirm the agency’s intentions. The EPA indicated that the regulation would prohibit conversion of vehicles into racecars and make the sale of certain emissions-related parts for use on converted vehicles illegal. Working with other affected organizations, including those representing legions of professional and hobbyist racers and fans, SEMA will continue to oppose the regulation through the administrative process and will seek congressional support and judicial intervention as necessary.

The EPA has indicated it expects to publish final regulations by July 2016."

I just saw this and figured I would copy and paste here.

409envy

Well Known Member
Only a matter of time with the current "climate" of hate against anything that emits CO2.... perhaps we should regulate breathing next? Maybe free thought? Oh wait already do... Enjoy it while it last boys!!!

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Signed!
Anybody who likes cars for more than just transportation needs to sign this. Don't have a race car but like to watch drag racing? It won't exist if this passes. 90% of race cars at a dragstrip started life as a production car. No cars = no tracks. The EPA has no problem letting our food get screwed with or the environment from some nasty pesticides and herbicides. Forcing the use of ethanol that is bad for the environment on so many levels it's not even funny is a great thing. Having less than one tenth of one percent of the vehicles made expelling excess green house gases for a few hours a month? If that? Ban them! Ban them! Passing laws with zero basis in reality because it makes a few people "feel" good really chaps my hide!!!!!!:tantrum

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
:yupIn this slowly growing economy,they're actually going to outlaw the livelihood of millions of people,and remove billions of dollars from the pie???????????

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
It can't hurt to sign online petitions (unless they use your info)but I have been told by my State legislators that they pay much more attention to a hand written letter or email.

There is no doubt in my mind that the dick-tater in charge is directing the EPA and other agency's on environmental issues in his last months as a lame dick.

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
This, has happened many times, in the past, and always gets voted down. :clapThe EPA, is just trying to test the waters again.:batEPA,:finger POTUS,:finger treehuggers,:finger and politicians, trying to make a name for themselves.:finger

bobs409

Administrator
It can't hurt to sign online petitions (unless they use your info)but I have been told by my State legislators that they pay much more attention to a hand written letter or email.

There's no way in hell they read those emails or letters, that would be too much work and we all know politicians don't like work. These crooks just do what they want/can get away with.

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Personally, I don't think it's safe, to put names, addresses, phone numbers, etc. on a web site, even if its encrypted. The main reason. Do you really know, who's site it is?:dunno:dunno2 Better, to send a letter, to your elected wood pile.:doh

bobs409

Administrator
Yeah and if someone went after something that they do, they'd raise a stink. Maybe close down their fancy golf courses or something. :D

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
From what I read in Hemmings, they say you have to retain the original emissions equipment to operate the vehicle on the street or the track. I guess that makes old cars now more valuable, at least those that came with no emissions equipment.

Fuel injection in a resto mod is the way the old car hobby is going as well, that is what was selling for big money at Barrett Jackson.