Epic Road Trip Begins

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Sounds like #4 is getting oil but from where? Probably more likely to be valve guide/seal or intake manifold leak rather than rings.
When we moved from Florida to Ca. in 82 I drove my 62 Corvette oil burner stopping about every 75 miles to change the plugs. It would run fine for about 50 miles then start smoking and running rough until the next set of plugs. I had 3 sets of plugs and just rotated them with a carb cleaner overhaul between changes.

benchseat4speed

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Agreed on the 2 honest parties statement:good Andrew this is the most entertaining thread on here in a while! Thanks for the pics. Some great replies on this one too.

Sorry to hear she has to go the rest of the way on the hook but, keep us posted!

pv40924ss

Well Known Member
Well, we are talking our time getting home and sitting at Denny's in Winslow, AZ. I thought about getting a picture of the car next to the statue (standin on the corner in Winslow, AZ. Such a fine sight to see) but decided to just go eat and get gas in the UHaul. I think the "potholes to China" road between Payson and Winslow beat us up so bad we had to stop for a break. Ha ha

Attached are some pics... still smiling with the car on the trailer. My wife is such a saint to put up with me. I promised her an epic trip! Lol too bad she did not have as much fun yesterday as I did. It was just too hot for her.

7 of the plugs looked like the one, the oily one is #4.

The clean pipe is the drivers side, the oily one is the passenger, all caused by #4 fouling.

There is the transmission leak-easy fix for it.

The Dodge truck is in a GCU campus parking lot next to my daughter's apartment. I thought about swapping the Bel Air for the Power Wagon.... lol

We were on our way to OldSkyDog's place and passed this van. I'm sure it would cost more than a 1963 409 dual quad 4-speed convertible Impala but if one of you really want I can go back to get betters pics if you are serious.

Oldskydog, thank you for letting us stop by and visit with you and your wife. It was a nice break from the craziness. You have a wonderful wife and your place is fantastic. I could spend days there. Who knows, maybe one weekend I come down and help you make room for your truck. The way our two wives were talking they would never even care if we spent hours in that shop of yours.

Thanks to everyone for your help, and I am glad this is entertaining. we all need to laugh and smile once in awhile and I really have not done that myself much lately.

Attachments

• A3295236-527F-484D-8645-A0DBDCD9542A.jpeg
    A3295236-527F-484D-8645-A0DBDCD9542A.jpeg
    28.8 KB · Views: 65
  • 3D0CEF0E-64F9-42A6-A751-8AA453339994.jpeg
    3D0CEF0E-64F9-42A6-A751-8AA453339994.jpeg
    32.7 KB · Views: 66
  • 20613FBA-66DF-4342-ADFD-E9677FFE0855.jpeg
    20613FBA-66DF-4342-ADFD-E9677FFE0855.jpeg
    39.8 KB · Views: 64
  • F1D693FB-5E6D-40FA-A8D2-E2B0CEA169AC.jpeg
    F1D693FB-5E6D-40FA-A8D2-E2B0CEA169AC.jpeg
    57.6 KB · Views: 60
  • FA0F3C49-0797-406F-9F76-C9C21493BE0C.jpeg
    FA0F3C49-0797-406F-9F76-C9C21493BE0C.jpeg
    85.1 KB · Views: 55
  • 89F55AB7-B9A4-4154-9379-886B7F0077C8.jpeg
    89F55AB7-B9A4-4154-9379-886B7F0077C8.jpeg
    120.2 KB · Views: 51
  • 0BF34E74-6CCD-4994-AEF2-5923A4E76FFC.jpeg
    0BF34E74-6CCD-4994-AEF2-5923A4E76FFC.jpeg
    49.6 KB · Views: 56
  • D19AA5C3-E5A2-45F2-A0B9-C45498558703.jpeg
    D19AA5C3-E5A2-45F2-A0B9-C45498558703.jpeg
    39.1 KB · Views: 61

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Maybe rings are not seated? Sometimes they take a few thousand miles, new build needs breaking in?

Had one bad valve seal on a 327, it smoked out passenger side, my 283 smoked quite a bit until the rings were seated.

Good luck on the rest of your trip.

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
That plug doesn't look like it was firing, but I don't think it is oil fouled. I have seen a lot worse. Maybe spark plug wires, valve adjustment, or???

Reactions: 327

William Malik

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
This is Bill the one who sold the car to Andrew. I have been communicating with Andrew every day since his journey began. I will work with him to get this fouled plug issue resolved. I am baffled how this car ran great then somehow this happened. There was no dis colorization on that tail pipe when he started his trip. He said he has a good mechanic to investigate the problem. Stay tuned.

pv40924ss

Well Known Member
Hi, now that I am rested up from the trip home I thought I would get back to this thread. As Bill said, we have been in contact every day. Neither he nor I can understand what happened as the car ran beautiful when we started our trip home. I have racked my brain and he has racked his trying to figure out what changed. We are both alike and get very frustrated when we know we did something correctly but then something wrong happens. He is a great guy, and my wife & I believe we have made good new friends with him & his wife.

Although we did drive another 60 miles into Phoenix with it running like this and I ran it to re-time it, at this point, I decided to not drive the car until I know more as to what is going on with it. Hidden issues can often lead to bigger problems and I do not want to risk anything to this engine. I have been told it could be a intake manifold leak, the #4 plug not firing and rings not quite seated yet after 800 or so miles allowing oil up into the combustion chamber, a broken oil ring, rocker arm issue, a flattened cam lobe, or a bad valve guide/seal. The plan this weekend is to do both a compression test, a leak-down test, and put a screwdriver in the #4 plug wire to see if there is spark. I believe the issue will show itself after these are all done. I will post again after the tests are done, which will be hopefully Friday, or Saturday at the latest.

Thank you all for the support to both Bill & I.

pv40924ss

Well Known Member
Well, let's wrap this post up on a very positive note. The 327 is running fantastic with 150 psi compression in all 8 cylinders. The #4 exhaust valve rocker arm "cup" (where the nut sits) broke in 3 pieces and the rocker arm was not sitting squarely above the valve spring. All broken pieces were recovered as I put the rocker arm back together like a jigsaw puzzle. I have since driven about 90 miles or so, after replacing the rocker arm and readjusting the valves, on I-40, I-25, and for about 3 hours today thru the streets of Albuquerque. This Bel Air ran smooth, although I do need to adjust the Carter carburetor for being at high-altitude.

Many thanks to @oldskydog , @pvs409 , and @409 Chevy Performance for their phone calls, texts, emails, and private messages with advice, guidance, and most of all patience. I actually owe everyone who commented on this thread many thanks as yoru thoughts contributed to the direction of the diagnosis.I only had 1 to maybe 1.5 days each week to diagnose this issue because the DIY shop I am using is closed on Sundays & Mondays, and although cleanup on the other days is not until 6:30 pm....I wish I could say I am not working my regular job up until that time, or past...but, I am.

And major, major props to @William Malik who I bought the car from. Bill & I are life-long friends at this point. He & I were so frustrated at the temporary outcome of things, but never with each other. As I re-learned to wrench on a car Bill was very patient with me, just like the others. I had my 19 year old daughter and my wife out helping me, which made my Dad jealous. He told them "you never help me on my cars when you are out visiting." lol And, having somebody re-learn to wrench with two very complete novices as assistants means the person providing the advice best have patience. :)

Again, issue is resolved and I am very happy with the outcome.

Andrew

PS.......for other positive and breaking news, see my other post from today, titled "62 Bel Air - Into the Deep End We Go" in "Builds and Projects"

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Well, let's wrap this post up on a very positive note. The 327 is running fantastic with 150 psi compression in all 8 cylinders. The #4 exhaust valve rocker arm "cup" (where the nut sits) broke in 3 pieces and the rocker arm was not sitting squarely above the valve spring. All broken pieces were recovered as I put the rocker arm back together like a jigsaw puzzle. I have since driven about 90 miles or so, after replacing the rocker arm and readjusting the valves, on I-40, I-25, and for about 3 hours today thru the streets of Albuquerque. This Bel Air ran smooth, although I do need to adjust the Carter carburetor for being at high-altitude.

Many thanks to @oldskydog , @pvs409 , and @409 Chevy Performance for their phone calls, texts, emails, and private messages with advice, guidance, and most of all patience. I actually owe everyone who commented on this thread many thanks as yoru thoughts contributed to the direction of the diagnosis.I only had 1 to maybe 1.5 days each week to diagnose this issue because the DIY shop I am using is closed on Sundays & Mondays, and although cleanup on the other days is not until 6:30 pm....I wish I could say I am not working my regular job up until that time, or past...but, I am.

And major, major props to @William Malik who I bought the car from. Bill & I are life-long friends at this point. He & I were so frustrated at the temporary outcome of things, but never with each other. As I re-learned to wrench on a car Bill was very patient with me, just like the others. I had my 19 year old daughter and my wife out helping me, which made my Dad jealous. He told them "you never help me on my cars when you are out visiting." lol And, having somebody re-learn to wrench with two very complete novices as assistants means the person providing the advice best have patience. :)

Again, issue is resolved and I am very happy with the outcome.

Andrew

PS.......for other positive and breaking news, see my other post from today, titled "62 Bel Air - Into the Deep End We Go" in "Builds and Projects"

What a great story and an awesome group of people coming together to help you through this.

People working together like this are unheard of today....