Ever have a cable break on a hoist?

bjburnout

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Buddy called this morning and he had a cable break while starting a lift of his 62 Impala...........:wtf
Cable broke while hoist about 4" up and fell back to earth.......:confused
Was able to get hoist up enough to get floor jack under leg by hydraulic cylinder and has ordered a new
cable.........:ebay
Called the place he bought it from and they said NOT to leave lift on locks but to store or work while
supported by the cables....:scratch....this does not sound right to me......:dunno.......both my hoists store on the locks......:good

Any comments appreciated........:gamer

JED

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Wow, good thing that was only 4" off the floor. That could have been a serious disaster.

My Rotary 2-post says to always lower the lift down to the locks when working/storing so that it removes the load from the hydraulic system and the cables in case of failure. Then raise it off the locks before releasing them and letting it back down on the ground. They also say to periodically use cable lube on the cables to keep the cable's wire strands lubricated.

61-63

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Look at a table on steel shear strength. The will tell you clearly what it would take before the locks will drop something.

fourzeronine

Well Known Member
For reference, Bendpak states in its instruction manuals that the lift's runways are to be on the safety locks multiple times, and has warning stickers on the lift stating the same.

"Safety Locks: The primary system to hold up the Runways on your Lift are the Safety Locks. "

"Before leaving the Lift, make sure all four corners are engaged on their Safety Locks."

"Always check to make sure that all four Safety Locks are engaged at the same height before working under or near the raised Vehicle. ⚠ WARNING Only leave your Lift either engaged on Safety Locks or fully lowered."

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Same here I always let the pressure off the hydraulic system to allow the lift platform rest on the safety locks. James having a hose rupture while lifting could have been catastrophic!!! :hide I hope that never happens to me or anyone else on this forum, my lift has safety locks about every 6" or so but the first one is about 18" off the ground. :yikes

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Steve, my first safety catch is a little high also. A lot of the cars I work on leaning over the fenders are to low to the ground and to high off the ground on the first catch, so I use some blocks at the proper height under the lift arms for a stop.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
The one thing to always consider/remember. You must have your hoist looked at by someone other than yourself that knows what to look for. We have a Dozen hoists at American Dream Machines and have had to replace 2 for worn out parts and 1 was due to cables going bad. Safety first!

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I just had my hoist rebuilt by a expert company from Sioux Falls (100 miles north of me) They replaced all my pulleys for the cables (some of the pulleys had been installed incorrectly)
They checked my cables (purchased hoist in 2005 ) and agreed that they were in great shape.

I was able to find the correct pulleys for my Superlift Hoist (who is no longer in business). I actually found a guy who knew who made my hoist and knew which pulleys my hoist came with.
Hoist is like new now and done as Randy suggests -by someone who knows hoists.

I have lots of safety locks "on 4 corners" on my hoist to lower the hoist onto after reaching the height I want.
Paul

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I have had my hoist for about 25 years and had my 62 SS on it (it doesn't run) all that time never letting it down. Now that I am in the new house I have been using it (up and down). I think I will pull the plastic panels off the bottom and look at all the cables and pulleys, NEVER take anything for granted. Thanks for posting Brenie this may have never came up otherwise until someone got hurt. :good