Everyone's favorite topic, RUST.

davidg8991

Well Known Member
I have areas in my 1960 Chevrolet that is hard to get to but I know that rust is forming. Inside the horizontal ends of the wings. Also, inside areas of the rear quarter panels. Anybody have a favorite product they can recommend for situations like this that will stop rust. Thank you.

Junky

Well Known Member
I used PDRP by Spray-On a Sherwin Williams company. It comes in spray cans, and it is essentially a cosmoline product. I clean the pinchwelds in the doors first, and then spray it inside of the door to waterproof where the 3 layers of stell come together. Your problem is different, since you already have the rust forming. If you can get into the area with a sand blast nozzle, and clean out the rust, and then properly treat the rust with one of the rust conversion products, you have a chance of saving it, assuming that it hasn't bubbled out to the outer sheet metal. If it has, then it will be a big job because the best way is to cut it out, and weld in new metal. Rust is a cancer that never stops growing, unless you cut it out fully.

61belairbubbletop

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Well of course, it’s always best to remove the rust 1st, if possible. But, to protect hard to reach area’s, One product that I’ve had pretty good results with is “ fluid film”. You can buy it in an aerosol can, or in pint, quart, & gallon containers.
I keep several aerosol cans, and a couple gallon cans in my shop for whenever I need to do touch ups.
The gallon cans I have I pour into a small pressure pot when I’m spraying the bottom side of one of our winter drivers. I’ve had pro good results with it.
I would never apply to the bottom of one of my collector cars, but inside hidden areas, yes.
You can find it at Ace Hardware, on line, or any tractor supply businesses.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I think your solution involves what YOU call rust. Is it Arizona rust or rust belt rust? I don’t recall seeing rust holes out in the tips of fins in a 60 or 59, even those in junkyards.

What do you call rust, what are you seeing?

Fluid film works great in seams, travels into them and stays there.

Last edited:

Junky

Well Known Member
Fluid film and PDRP (cosmoline) work the same way. Fluid film is sheep lanolin, and cosmoline is a petroleum product. They both have a distinctive odor to them, and it is a matter of which odor that you want to smell. Both are a painters nightmare if you have to have a panel repair and painted.

El Rat

Well Known Member
I had two 60 impalas (in my kid days) both had rust under the chrome trim on the rear fins.
I like POR 15.