Exhaust systems for 1962

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
I am going to have to put another exhaust system on my 62 SS
car that is show only so correct look is everything. Gardener does the exhaust ends correctly as well as the RH pipe has the "flat" spot.
Any comments out there as I am not familiar with other suppliers of exhaust.
Robert

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Shafer's in Florida!!!!!! Trust me!!!!! All original ends and resonators!!!!
Ask for Warren Shafer .....tell him you and Dick MacKenzie spent a night in my house!!!!!!
Phil,
Is this a new service that Shafers offers? Roberts 62 has Shafers exhaust on it now and its probably 5 or 6 years old but at the time Shafers did not offer resonators nor were the ends cut correctly. I cut the ends to match an NOS tailpipe that i had and i purchased resonators from Showcars and had a muffer shop install them. If Shafers now offers this then that is great news! Im not aware of what may have transpired at your house between you, Robin and Dickie. :)

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Well.....maybe I'm wrong on the resonators.....but the tailpipes did have the slash cut on the ends. I will not disagree with Mr. Nolen!!!!!
Robert..check with Jody Anderson on NOS tailpipes.........they have the resonators welded on the tailpipes.
I'm gonna go hide my head in the sand now!!!!

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Naw, don't go stick your head in the sand!!! Lets talk a little about these details. 9 2 2007 right rear underside.jpgHere is what the end of an NOS 61 or 62 tailpipe should look and its a far cry from just an angle cut. Notice it is double angle cut plus notice the flattened top of the pipe, I would assume that was to provide a little extra clearance on the bottom of the quarter panel. No one that I know of reproduces a pipe like this. Supposedly Gardners does but I have not seen one. BTW, this is the underside of Roberts 61SS. Probably messed up now with all that driving he does with the car :)

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Ah ha, no matter what you do, if I look at your pipes in the future ,now I know they are not the original ones!:crazy

True...... but the Schaffer system currently on the car isn't original either and far from it. Some interesting info comments on here. I have looked at a couple of cars with Shaffer systems and wasn't impressed with non original appearing systems. I am not sure if they offer a more correct system with resonators and pipes formed correctly. Phil, I'll call them and inquire for sure as I have some pieces from Jody but since those are NOS they will be saved for the 61. Speaking of the 61 SS it really looks the same as the above picture with the exception of spiders under it.
The trip to Phil's was one of several members garages we visited on our lap around USA to see some very impressive cars, parts collections and to visit with online members.
I'll try to photo a closeup of a NOS tail pipe for comparison and a head pipe.
Robert

Junky

Well Known Member
I'll try to photo a closeup of a NOS tail pipe for comparison and a head pipe.
Robert

OK..... now help me understand this correctly.. Presently, no one circumcises the tail pipe correctly? What is so difficult to making the proper cut in the correct placement on the tip? I can't believe that no one can get this right! I guess that the only other way to cover up this mishap, is to put a chrome condom on the end, to dress it up.

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
"Chrome condoms" would cost him valuable points in the judging part of the shows.

Don how correct you are! I enjoy prepping my cars for a national event and go "locked and loaded"! Much the same as our members approach a large race event. I walk around the show cars field when I can just observing ones that interest me. I have observed many Chevy or GM cars that don't have correct exhaust systems. I am a "card carrying" eligible judge for AACA but won't judge at a national event that have a car in. I will judge at regional events as they always use a modified AACA judging system that is not as strict as criteria used for national events.
My Judging Guidelines book indicates that I could lose up to 5 points if a chassis judge saw those chrome condoms. Some other interesting ways to lose points are the wrong plastic caps on valve stems. I see wrong quite a bit and can lose a point for each wheel.
Wrong none AC spark plugs are a point per plug. Valve cover gaskets are interesting also as can lose 5 points for each valve cover.
I lost high points at a big event a couple of years ago because of a couple of scuff marks on the driver's side sill plates! I had forgotten to polish them before going unto the show field.
I know the above will generate some interesting comments. Before someone like Phil asks yes the red 62SS has beaten the real 61SS once! Valve stem caps!
Robert

Junky

Well Known Member
Please show a picture of the "correct" valve stem caps. What about the valve stem itself, is that judged? Do they check for synthetic oil vs. dino oil? How about the data plate information, vs. the car itself? Do you loose points if you make a change that isn't consistent with the data plate? If I were to have my car judged, by the sounds of what you have written, I would leave the field and trade my car in for a Toyota!

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
A point here, a point there...:dunno

Yeah, yeah, sort of like your match shooting points!

Some one previously asked about valve caps so ask and you might receive. These apply to most GM's of the era. The cap on the right is correct while the left one is generic. The valve stem itself would be traditional rubber for these cars and of course of the proper length for the wheel and hubcap. The cap on the right is actually sourced from a Pontiac site!
btNdgGsYTYGcHkw943Hz+A.jpg

Also the issue of vin plates and data plates was brought up. No, in our organization those are not reviewed thus not part of judging.
Robert

mike s

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
A few years back I was getting my car ready for a local car show and a friend who judges cars stopped by. He told me the car looked great but I had the wrong valve caps on the car. He said I needed Dill caps. I laughed at him and said I think they are not looking for that. He went home and came back with the caps you have shown and they are stamped Dill on the top of cap. Have them on since then.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Yeah, yeah, sort of like your match shooting points!

Some one previously asked about valve caps so ask and you might receive. These apply to most GM's of the era. The cap on the right is correct while the left one is generic. The valve stem itself would be traditional rubber for these cars and of course of the proper length for the wheel and hubcap. The cap on the right is actually sourced from a Pontiac site!
View attachment 70549

Also the issue of vin plates and data plates was brought up. No, in our organization those are not reviewed thus not part of judging.
Robert

Hey, I thought rolling dice were the correct ones:doh

I actually remember that one on the right now that I see it again.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Back when I built my 62 Impala 409 "clone" car I went to my very good local muffler man. Actually, he came highly recommended by my dyno tune/engine builder/super stock racer friend. So I pull in with my 62 409 to get the exhaust done and he pulls out NOS GM boxed 409 exhaust system he had stashed up on his loft of the shop, thought I just scored:winner So I asked if I'm getting those, he says no but he's using them as a model to bend my new system. He pulls out the NOS and sets it next to his bending machine and proceeds to bend mine while looking at the original. I also told him I wanted the pipes to exit the rear and to put straight cut chrome tips. When he was done bending they were identical to orig and everything installed without any issue. Both tail pipes also exited at the exact same length under the rear bumper and no cutting was necessary. I was amazed at this guys ability:bow I do think he got a little lucky on the length being the same:dunno
When he was installing the pipes he even knew the exact amount and style of hangers as original by memory, and exactly where they went. Some of these old timers are just amazing.