Exploding batterys-a tip

bobs409

Administrator
Saw this thread on Team Chevelle and since it's such of an important subject, thought I'd pass it along.

http://www.chevelles.com/forum/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=35;t=002118

I must say, I'm guilty of hooking up both cables right to the battery when jump starting. No more though. I'm going to change my ways from now on.

Anyone here have any exploding battery stories to share?

This one will be going into the tips/tricks page for the next update.

Stay safe...

If you've never had it happen believe it, they CAN explode, if your lucky you won't get any in your eyes (if you do WASH THEM FOR AT LEAST 15 MINUTES!). All you'll do is ruin any clothes you get the acid on. BE CAREFUL!. And read what it says on this site.

bjburnout

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Jumping

Good warning Bob
Great advise on that link.
I have had a couple blowup over the years and was pretty lucky no one was hurt.

In the real old days before plastic pieces we used to touch metal bumpers to complete the negative ground. (Anyone remember that)

I learned a long time ago positive to positive first and then negative from the running car to a good ground on the dead one.
I have quite often hooked a cable from bumper to bumper for the grounding just never never ever ever negative terminal to negative terminal.

Same can happen when hooking up a charger and always shield your face when connecting a cable to a battery.........the slightest spark can set them off
....especially if the battery has just been charged.

Remember too, these computer cars can fry an ECM pretty quick if there is sparking while you're trying to jump one.

OK people........let's BE CAREFUL out there.

BJ

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
When I was young I worked at a gas station. The boss blew one up by disconecting the charger without turning it off first. He then told the customer that he had a defective batery and that he was lucky it blew at a garage and not out on the road somewhere. :rolleyes:

unworthy

On charging...I always hook the charger to the battery, close the hood on a car, or put the seat back over it in a boat, or just get away from it if it can't be covered, then plug the charger into the outlet. I don't want to be around if it blows.