Factory 1962 409 - 3 speed cars?

wally409

Well Known Member
I was going through some old car magazines and came across a copy of High Performance Cars, May/June '94 and revisited an article on a restored 62 Biscayne 409/409 - speed car.
The article also stated that 409 cars in 62 could be ordered with 3 and 4 speed trannys and I'd almost forgotten that fact.
Do any of you have any more information on 3 speed cars?
How many were built?; Were they a T-10 type or Saginaw?; Could you get one on all models? Could you order one with a 2X4 intake? (I'm assuming the base model was the 380 horse engine); Were they 3-on-the-tree cars, or stick shift?; any with O/D?; did they all have factory tachs etc?
..and were any raced with the 3-speed?
I'll be starting my restoration on a 62 Biscayne factory 283 - 3 speed car next year - and this has piqued my interest - that it might be an unusual and interesting restoration of a 3 speed 409 car.
Please let me know. thanks. wally

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Not exactly...

Wally, I look forward to reading the posts on this topic. I am not certain I know the answers to any of your questions, but will certainly find the responses interesting. I've never seen a 409 three speed 1962 car, but I bet there are some out there.

I have a 1961 348 with three-on-the-tree, but that's not the same. Mine has the Saginaw 3 speed. With only 250 horses, that one might hold together. I can't imagine how bad a 380/409 horse engine would tear one of those Saginaws up!

I hope you find answers to your questions. I always thought it would be interesting to "power shift" into 2nd with the column shift, wonder what the uninitiated would think?

Best,
TomK

NASCAR FAN

Well Known Member
The 3-spd, I believe it was a Saginaw, was the base transmission on 1961-1963 409s. All horsepower versions. The only exception would be a '61 Impala SS 409 which required the optional 4-speed.

The 4-speed was a mandatory extra cost option on 1964-'65 409s. No more 3-speeds. The '64-'65 340 horsepower version were available with a Powerglide as an alternative to the 4-speed.

Rick

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
You could get a 3-speed 409. Big car collection in PA, Don Fezel, has a 62 Impala 4dr sedan he bought from the original owner. It's a dual-quad 3-speed!!! I've seen an unrestored 62 SS 380hp 3-speed convert. The 3-speed was the standard trans in the full-size cars. It was always shifted on the column. My guess the trans would have been the same Saginaw that was used in the corvettes that year. Not sure about the tach but I bet it would have been standard on a solid-lifter engine.
I heard once that the T-10s were tough to get in 62, so rather than wait some buyers just went with the 3-speed.
Ross

wally409

Well Known Member
Any pictures out there of these cars?

Bogles the mind to try to picture a dual quad Impala sedan with a 3-speed - and I would venture to say that might be the only one left out there.
And - can you guys remember if they came with tachometers?
I'm really thinking it would be fun to stick with the 3-speed when I get to my Biscayne because it already has a column shifter.:beerbang
Thanks - wally

W Head

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
3-speed/4-speed

You could get a 3-speed 409. Big car collection in PA, Don Fezel, has a 62 Impala 4dr sedan he bought from the original owner. It's a dual-quad 3-speed!!! I've seen an unrestored 62 SS 380hp 3-speed convert. The 3-speed was the standard trans in the full-size cars. It was always shifted on the column. My guess the trans would have been the same Saginaw that was used in the corvettes that year. Not sure about the tach but I bet it would have been standard on a solid-lifter engine.
I heard once that the T-10s were tough to get in 62, so rather than wait some buyers just went with the 3-speed.
Ross

There was a strike at the factory in 62, it took me 17 weeks to get my 4-speed 62. Had ordered a SS, but it came in just Impala with bench seat. Capitol Chevrolet in Austin, Texas took the complete interrior our of a new SS on the lot and installed it in the Impala before I would accept the car, which made it pretty rare.

W Head

59 El Camino 348-3,2s
59 Impala 409-2,4s

wagon409

3 speed 409

I can't imagine how bad a 380/409 horse engine would tear one of those Saginaws up!

I took a truck 409 and threw it in the 283 wagon and by the time I sold it 5 years later I shelled the 3 speed, the pinion gear, and an axle. Amazing what an increase in torque can do....and that's just 252 HP. I'd bet the 3 speed would live a short life behind a 380HP.

Marc

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
There was a strike at the factory in 62, it took me 17 weeks to get my 4-speed 62. Had ordered a SS, but it came in just Impala with bench seat. Capitol Chevrolet in Austin, Texas took the complete interrior our of a new SS on the lot and installed it in the Impala before I would accept the car, which made it pretty rare.

W Head

59 El Camino 348-3,2s
59 Impala 409-2,4s

Rae? Why? The dealer modifying a non-SS car doesn't make it "factory". It's just an Impala with an incorrect SS nterior.

W Head

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
3-speed

Rae? Why? The dealer modifying a non-SS car doesn't make it "factory". It's just an Impala with an incorrect SS nterior.

Never said a thing about "factory" correct. Dealers have installed many items on cars that you could not get at the factory. Just telling my story from 45 years ago!

W Head

59 El Camino 348-3,2s
59 Impala 409-2,4s

Speed

Supporting Member 1
I briefly owned a 63 340 horse 409 3 speed car..pretty rare, but obviously was available.

wally409

Well Known Member
Hey Speed - can you let me know what kind of options you had on that car?
Did it have overdrive - factory tach, bigger wheels etc...thanks, wally

Bobaloo

Well Known Member
Hemmings Muscle did a feature on that 4 door 409 3 speed car, It was June, 2006. It was metallic split pea green with a white top. Looks like your parents car but with a big a$$ "W" under the hood. Neat car.

Speed

Supporting Member 1
Hey Speed - can you let me know what kind of options you had on that car?
Did it have overdrive - factory tach, bigger wheels etc...thanks, wally

I took it on a trade..(in 65)....drove it briefly..It was an Impala..no overdrive,no tach, wheels..not sure. Maroon .......