Factory 409?? Wheels

RCE1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
I've seen some EBAY ads (one running right now) on wheels reported to be a factory item for 409 cars. 14 X 6 yet centre offset a bit. JK code??? There appears to be a difference. Is there a "code or stamping" that is specific to 1962 for this wheel?

Tried the archives and general search. :dunno

RCE1962

bobs409

Administrator
An exerpt from our FAQ page:

Q: Was there really such a thing as a 409 wheel?

A: No, there is no such thing as a "409" wheel. The standard wheel was a 14X5 for cars and the standard for wagons was the 14X6JK wheel. The 14X6 JK wheel was optional on any model. 409 cars did require the 800X14 inch tire and was mounted on either wheel depending on what body style or wheel was ordered.

MileHiSS

Supporting Member 1
The 14 x 6 JK wheel continued into the late sixties. I found the correct JK wheel (6inch instead of 5 inch for Malibus) when I was restoring my 67 SS396 ragtop. But not all JK wheels are the same, and as mentioned previously, you have to check the date code on the center of the wheel, because the offsets were different for different years. Most of the restorers try to find station wagons. If you find a set with "A" and "6" on each side of the valve stem hole, find someone restoring a Chevelle, as they are in high demand for using with dog dish hubcaps.

62BT409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
real61ss said:
"Also some 409 cars come with 14 X 7 wheels"

Say what??????

:bang :bang

Next week I'm taking the car to a friend's garage to analyze and setup the carbs. I will get his OD wheel measuring tool and measure them. I am under the impression they are 14 X 7...I will double check

51T409

Well Known Member
62bt409

hey dude you ain't fatride in disguise are you? you have his signature????? what's up with that (identity theft) ha ha

62BT409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
51T409 said:
hey dude you ain't fatride in disguise are you? you have his signature????? what's up with that (identity theft) ha ha

Had not noticed....been using that for years on the boat forums...but it goes to show you that great minds....OH well I forgot already :) :cheers

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
"Next week I'm taking the car to a friend's garage to analyze and setup the carbs. I will get his OD wheel measuring tool and measure them. I am under the impression they are 14 X 7...I will double check"

It could have 14x7's on it now but trust me, it didn't come from the factory with 6" or 7" wide wheels. In 1961 and '62 everything cept the 9 passenger wagons had 14x5's.

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Gearhead,
I agree what all you said, Chevrolet spec.'s say 9 passenger station wagons but I believe they were on all wagons in 61 & 62.

62BT409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
real61ss said:
"Also some 409 cars come with 14 X 7 wheels"

Say what??????

:bang :bang

I did check them over the weekend and your are correct...they are 14 X 6

62BT409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
real61ss said:
"Next week I'm taking the car to a friend's garage to analyze and setup the carbs. I will get his OD wheel measuring tool and measure them. I am under the impression they are 14 X 7...I will double check"

It could have 14x7's on it now but trust me, it didn't come from the factory with 6" or 7" wide wheels. In 1961 and '62 everything cept the 9 passenger wagons had 14x5's.

Did you get a chance to measure the wheels you mentioned? I have a person who has a set of 4 wheels and tells me (the ones he has) measures 5" bewteeen the beads X 14" They came off of a 62 Impala.