factory lightweight?

M

MK IISS

Some claim '62s with alum front clips were factory built...some claim they were not. As for myself, I've never seen any documentation, just hear/say info.... so I don't have an opinion. If any '62s with alum front clips were factory built however, I believe the term "Z11" is not correct. Z11 was a 1963 RPO code.

oil4kids

Well Known Member
I know of 2 1962 Impala SS 409 cars that were shipped the alum fenders and z11 parts after the car was already built.

one was Dick Harrells black 62.

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Did Old Reliable III come shipped with the aluminum nose on it? I was going to mention the Zintmaster car as a posible factory built car.
Ross

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
built cars

I've never known of, or seen, a 62 FACTORY built aluminum front end car. My knowledge is that they were built from over the counter pieces. Maybe that should be said to be UNDER the counter pieces. 63 was the first and last factory built aluminum front end cars. That's how I remember it.

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
SS425HP yes, I belive you are correct again!!!! I like the UNDER COUNTER comment!!! I remember the ole reliable at York but not the fenders.

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
As many know, Bob Walker Jr. posted two pics. of my race partners dads 63 z11 Impala. Barrys dads name was Buddy Taylor. In 1962 Buddy was racing a 62 409 car. Friendly Chev. ( Dallas) recieved a red 62 Impala with all of the aluminum parts. Buddy bought the car and transferred the aluminum parts to his race car ( they happened to be the same color), and put his steel parts on the new car and sold it. Buddy owned a performance used car lot, so this was easy for him to do. This was told to me by Buddy many years ago, before he passed away. I realize this is considered " heresay", and I agree it is, but Buddy had no reason to make this up. We were sitting around his shop, b.s. ing one day, and it was years before I found this web-site. Barry has no pictures of the 62 and very few of the 63 z11, people just didnt take many pics. back then. So , I can offer no proof there was a factory 62 aluminum equipped car, I can only tell this story, as it happened to me. Maybe I can talk old Grumpy in to commenting on the subject , next month at the motorplex in Ennis.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
62 aluminum parts

I thought I read about a 1962 SS car with aluminum parts in Kansas, somebody Phil Reed knows, "Willie" something (maybe "Wagner"?).

Talked to a guy who saw me driving the 62 and he mentioned a fellow about 3 hours from me that had an aluminum front clip for a 62 sitting against his garage wall for 40 years. Says he won't sell it. I need to get out there and snap some photos, maybe change his mind. That'll get me back to work on the 62 BA sport coupe :)!

Cheers,
TomK

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I talked to Zintsmaster when he was selling that car in the 80's. It came with the front end installed. Had a 409/409/4-speed. Got $50,000 for it and less than a year later in watched the owner turn down $124K. I.ve been told the factory ran about 20 cars out the door with aluminum as a test for the Z-11 program. Rusty Symes told me there werent a lot of inner fenders made because tyhe aluminym folded up and broke the dies as they stamped them. he first batch of fenders went to racers. The Zintsmaster car did not have Z-11 parts, bvut I have seem it with tyhem installed. Very nice piece of histiry. Bob