Factory Power windows

droptop62ss

Well Known Member
I'm installing factory power windows in my 62 convertible. Does anyone have any pictures of the main harness that runs behind the dash from left to right.

Thanks Andy

Reactions: 327

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
The factory power window wiring ( either original wiring or American Autowire wiring that matches the original ) is run in the upper front of the dash - hanging from factory clips . I have a picture I can find, I think it’s from the shop manual.
Some facts on the wiring
There are 3 wiring harnesses ( they all plug into harness under the dash
one from the drivers door to the passenger door
one from the passenger kick panel to the passenger rear 1/4 window
one from the drivers side kick panel to the drivers rear 1/4 window
All these harnesses screw to the body near to the factory switch locations
Both rear 1/4 window harnesses are run inside the factory plastic wire protectors on the top of the rockers
The wiring harnesses too both doors are run through “oval shaped knockouts“ in the door jambs and “oval shaped knockouts on the body oppisite the ones on the doors.

Rubber wire protectors ( for keeping rain/moisture out of car and the doors ) are screwed to the jambs to run the wiring inside. The correct rubber wire protectors are sold reproduction. Original power window cars had curved metal plates that mounted to the rubber lips (with 4 screws on each oval hole) on these rubber protectors “to hold them to the door and body jamb oval holes to prevent ripping the rubber boots”.

Power windows, power seats, power convertible tops get the power (to operate the power windows) from connection of a short red wire to the circuit breaker on the drivers kick panel - this circuit breaker is connected to the starter with a yellow wire to the firewall plugged into a red wire from the firewall to the starter

I have pictures of the power window wiring installation from my power window hardtop and power window convertible, that I can send to a email address.

Paul

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Assuming your car is assembled you need to knock out the oval plates and drill the four dimples for 4 screws on each oval hole ( 4 of them).
you will need a 90 degree drill and small drill bits plus a 90 degree screwdriver or ratchet to install the screws or hex screws. Not easy work….
Paul