Falcon Warbird And Impala Bob's

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
20150418_080829_resized.jpg 20150418_080841_resized.jpg 20150418_081110_resized.jpg 20150418_083317_resized.jpg 20150418_083328_resized.jpg 20150418_083451_resized.jpg Our monthly pancake breakfast and fly-in was held jointly today with Impala Bob's sponsoring a car show. Our own Larry Greer was there with his beautiful midnite blue 61.
What could be better than old airplanes and old cars.
Here's a few pics.

Last edited:

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Cecil, looks like a B-17 setting back there.
A quick story. A friend of my's father was a B-17 pilot over Germany at the ripe old age of 19.

I lived in Houston at the time and had a connection to the Lonestar Flight museum in Galveston that had a B-17. In my discussions with him and his many stories that raised the hair on my neck, I learned he had never set foot in another plane as pilot since getting out alive after 35 missions(another story itself) much less a B-17.

I picked him up one Saturday, did not tell him where we were going and headed straight to Galveston. I had made arrangements with some friends to surprise him in the hanger to see the plane, share some stories and since he had actually flown a 17 they asked him to talk to some of the visitors since they had never had an actual pilot visit.

Then the fun began!! We were taking a "test flight".

As soon as he stepped into the side door where you enter, it was as if it was 1944-45 all over again for him. He began to bark orders, "watch out for your head here", "here is where I had to kick the bombs out of the bomb bay when they jammed" "get forward into the nose that's where the Norden bombsight is", and on and on.

He thought it was a great experience, hell I just experienced a bombing run!!!

He talked about that plane ride every time I saw him and so did I! Absolutely the Greatest Generation!!!

P.S...................at 19 I think I was worried about being caught with a beer in my car and he was dodging Flak and Messerschmitts!!

AZ409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Cecil, it was an honor for us to share breakfast with you, Dick and the Falcon Warbirds. Two weeks ago the Warbirds flew a "missing man formation" over the memorial service of one of my friends. I remember thinking the family will never know who was flying those planes, just that they came, honored their father and than flew away.
Larry

409newby

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
A quick story. A friend of my's father was a B-17 pilot over Germany at the ripe old age of 19.

I lived in Houston at the time and had a connection to the Lonestar Flight museum in Galveston that had a B-17. In my discussions with him and his many stories that raised the hair on my neck, I learned he had never set foot in another plane as pilot since getting out alive after 35 missions(another story itself) much less a B-17.

I picked him up one Saturday, did not tell him where we were going and headed straight to Galveston. I had made arrangements with some friends to surprise him in the hanger to see the plane, share some stories and since he had actually flown a 17 they asked him to talk to some of the visitors since they had never had an actual pilot visit.

As soon as he stepped into the side door where you enter, it was as if it was 1944-45 all over again for him. He began to bark orders, "watch out for your head here", "here is where I had to kick the bombs out of the bomb bay when they jammed" "get forward into the nose that's where the Norden bombsight is", and on and on.

He talked about that plane ride every time I saw him and so did I! Absolutely the Greatest Generation!!!

P.S...................at 19 I think I was worried about being caught with a beer in my car and he was dodging Flak and Messerschmitts!!
Wow I love those stories I had an uncle that lost a leg in a P47 but luckily made it back to base, thanks Pat

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Great post Cecil.

What a great generation. Thanks for sharing Pat...:clap:clap:clap