Fan Choices ?

Kdurgin

Well Known Member
I need to decide on a fan setup. Originality is not an issue. I have always run steel, non clutch fans and that is what I'm leaning toward. I don't trust flex fans, don't want electric, but am not familiar with clutch fans other than on my modern street vehicles. I assume they mainly save power as the fan does not have to increase RPM's as fast as the engine and they may freewheel at highway speeds? I have always raced oval track and we just used the steel mechanicals with no thermostat and a 5/8" restrictor in the water outlet in lieu of a thermostat. I will be running a thermostat. Any thoughts?

12-22-08010.jpg

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Fans

That is the same fan, I'm running. Moves more air at idle than the seven blade stock fan with clutch. The 409 will still build temps during the summer, while at the long lights, but she is alot better than before. Check the water pump pulley size, that made quiet a big difference with mine. :cool:

Oh BTW, your build is really looking GREEEEAAAAAT. Keep up the good work. When are you planning to put her on the road, for the first time ?

Kdurgin

Well Known Member
Spring of 2012 at the latest. Car will be 50, I'll be 50 and I'll probably have 50K into it by then. :eek: I'm good at mechanical stuff but the body is going to take longer as I will sub out paint and some interior work as well.

rwagon57

Supporting Member 1
Don't rule out an electric fan. I run a 3800 cfm Zirgo fan on my RanchWagon with a 180* thermostat, and in stop and go traffic at 100* plus it never goes over 205*. I also have a 4-row copper/brass radiator, a stand alone 28,000 GVW trans cooler in front of the radiator, and overdrive the water pump. Running down the road at anything over about 30 mph the fan is off and the temperature gage sits at 180*. This time of year (winter) on the highway it struggles to get to 150* if I'm moving. The engine is a 395 ci Windsor stroker and is adequate:D

w ogden

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
If you are open to considering an electric fan, consider the Spal high performance dual twelve assembly. I used one on the 64 with a copper four core. Made a bracket up and attached it to the radiator shell. This unit just about covers the cooling area of the radiator. I am running a 160 thermostat and in a few tests around town in 80 degree weather the fan never came on. It is set at 200. Idling in the garage for twenty minutes it came on at 200 and within less than one minute had the temp down to 190 and cycled off. Heres a link for reference.
http://www.spalusa.com/fans/automated/tech_sheets/30102130.pdf

Just my 2 cents for what it is worth! Walt

bjburnout

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Hey mac1 and nuts

Do you have a shroud around that 1818?

I used to use a similar RV fan but the blades were not
staggered.........it was too loud...........:doh

Now running GM fan clutch but not happy.........:bang

:cheers
bj

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Holy Crap, Mac.:doh It looks like you could slice lunch meat, with that fan. I'm thinking about deep sixing, my clutch fan, this summer. Is there any vibration with a seven blade? :dunno Boy, it does look strange.

Stick62

Well Known Member
If you are open to considering an electric fan, consider the Spal high performance dual twelve assembly. I used one on the 64 with a copper four core. Made a bracket up and attached it to the radiator shell. This unit just about covers the cooling area of the radiator. I am running a 160 thermostat and in a few tests around town in 80 degree weather the fan never came on. It is set at 200. Idling in the garage for twenty minutes it came on at 200 and within less than one minute had the temp down to 190 and cycled off. Heres a link for reference.
http://www.spalusa.com/fans/automated/tech_sheets/30102130.pdf

Just my 2 cents for what it is worth! Walt

Thats the way to go. Gain HP too for free. They arent like they used to be. They work GREAT.... dont even need a shroud. Dual SPALS on my Griffin ALuminum is way im goin.

mac1

Well Known Member
Holy Crap, Mac.:doh It looks like you could slice lunch meat, with that fan. I'm thinking about deep sixing, my clutch fan, this summer. Is there any vibration with a seven blade? :dunno Boy, it does look strange.

No excessive noise or vibration Skip. In reality though, its probably a little louder than a stock fan, because of the increased airflow. Ive never liked using electric fans as a primary fan. I'm sure they cool well, but I just don't like the sound they make. I do have a permacool electric fan located inside my stock fan shroud, that comes on with the A/C or a toggle switch under the dash. Am I loosing some HP with these fans? Probably, but my 409 runs 170 all day long and never goes over 200 on the hottest days with A/C on.