Fan Question

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Does anyone know of a fan blade that has 6 or 7 blades that will fit the thermatic fan hub on a 348/409. I would like a more aggressive fan blade for my car. If it's wider than the 17" required to fit the shroud I could shorten the blades.

I have a newer 7 blade one off of a Caprice that would move a lot more air but it doesn't fit the hub.

Thanks
Dave

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
Hi Dave, Try a Fxxd fan clutch. They use the pre '69 water pump bolt pattern and will bolt right on. I found the 17" fan and clutch assy. in a salvage yard and replaced the clutch only. Moves a lot of air at idle speed. No cooling problems. Not sure if the GM fan will fit this clutch though. Leo

raymar58409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Dave, Probably not a good comparison but we used a 5 blade on the late model race car. With a 7 at 7400 continued rpm it seemed to stall the air. I found a study once but my CRS brain is no way gonna remember. It may have been on the Flex-a -lite site.:dunno

Ray

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
Dave , the donor car was a 1977 to 1980 Lincoln Versailles (only years produced) with the 5.0 motor. The NAPA p/n is 273325 for a TEM F CLUTCH (their description on the invoice.) This fan/clutch assy. was bolt-on. Leo

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Dave , the donor car was a 1977 to 1980 Lincoln Versailles (only years produced) with the 5.0 motor. The NAPA p/n is 273325 for a TEM F CLUTCH (their description on the invoice.) This fan/clutch assy. was bolt-on. Leo

Thanks for all the help guys. I've got what I need. I want a factory type aggressive 6 or 7 blade. I had bought a new thermo fan clutch for the car but I needed a fan. The original is gone. The one I was planning on using will not fit the clutch. I crossed the numbers and it's the same clutch that Leo told me about. I then did a search on the net and found a site that lists all the vehicles that clutch fits....... there are about 20 pages of cars and trucks listed. All F@rds from about 1970 up to 1991. I can now go to a wrecker and know what I'm looking for.

Thanks Again !!
Dave

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Here's a picture of the fan I found at an old auto wrecker. You gotta' love those places. He sent me to an old building at the back of his yard because he knew there was some old fan blades in there. I had to walk through wet grass up to my chest to get there. It was a bit of a search but I found what I think is a perfect fan blade...... and it's as light as a feather. I asked him how much he wanted for it........ he said what do you think it's worth. I offered him $20 and he thought that was fair.

I test fit it last night and it fits perfect. There is a part number stamped on it and from what I can find it's off of a 1965 to 1969 High Performance Mustang GT or Torino with air conditioning.

Thanks Leo for that Napa thermatic fan clutch part number and also for the F@rd hint .......... it made the search much easier. If I had asked for a fan blade for a '61 Impala with a 409 in it I would have been looked at funny.

Dave

Attachments

• ford fan.JPG
    ford fan.JPG
    84.7 KB · Views: 73
  • ford fan1.JPG
    ford fan1.JPG
    77.7 KB · Views: 75

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Here's a picture of the fan I found at an old auto wrecker. You gotta' love those places. He sent me to an old building at the back of his yard because he knew there was some old fan blades in there. I had to walk through wet grass up to my chest to get there. It was a bit of a search but I found what I think is a perfect fan blade...... and it's as light as a feather. I asked him how much he wanted for it........ he said what do you think it's worth. I offered him $20 and he thought that was fair.

I test fit it last night and it fits perfect. There is a part number stamped on it and from what I can find it's off of a 1965 to 1969 High Performance Mustang GT or Torino with air conditioning.

Thanks Leo for that Napa thermatic fan clutch part number and also for the F@rd hint .......... it made the search much easier. If I had asked for a fan blade for a '61 Impala with a 409 in it I would have been looked at funny.

Dave

Dave, That looks identical to the fan I am using. It has a H and a 1 stamped on the Front. The clutch has 7700 and then stamped is 034183 on the front. I have no idea what this is out of. It was kicking around a friends shop for years and I asked about it and he gave it to me. That was several years ago. It has the steel hub with aluminum blades. Also the clutch does not have the spring on the front like most others I have seen. Is there a way of telling if the clutch is good or bad.:dunno I just blasted it this morning so I could paint it.

Attachments

• Fan clutch front.jpg
    Fan clutch front.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 31
  • Fan 7 Blade.jpg
    Fan 7 Blade.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 36
  • Fan clutch back.jpg
    Fan clutch back.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 27

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Dan,
I think if I remember correctly the hub without the"spring" is a fan clutch..... it has some sort of hydraulic drive inside that slips on acceleration not to take any extra horsepower. It gets up to engine speed eventually.

The one with the "spring" is a thermo clutch. The "spring" is actually a temp sensor and it somehow locks the hub over a certian temp.

I don't know for sure how you tell if they are any good. I have heard lots of stories about how to test them but none that I can say actually work. I would think the one you have, if there's a little resistance when you turn it it should be fine.

I bought a new clutch for mine...... about $50 I think. I just wanted to make sure it worked.

Dave

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
I've still got my old original 340 HP fan and clutch but over the years the fan itself got bent.

hogmotors

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Wow, something that I actually know about!
Correct, the one with the "spring" is temp controlled-actually opens/shuts a valve inside that lets the silicone fluid into the torus & "lock up" the hub over about a 10-15 degree range. Kinda like a fluid coupling on the old single coupling hydros-It is both temp AND speed limiting-about 2500 rpm I think. fan efficiency decreases after that.
The one w/o the "spring" is only speed limiting.
Several, Vintage air, Old air Products have the blades-my exp.: seemslike there are 2 different hub/center sizes & of course with the serp belts, rotation.
WAY more than anyone needed!
Call me & I'll tell ya what I don't know. 800-521-9854x0 when you can catch me workin.
I am absolutely NOT responsible for this spelling/grammer!!

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I did order the 273325 thermo clutch hub yesterday and it will be here today. Cost was 33.00. Is one of these clutch/thermo better or worse than the other or do they both work about the same?