FAST XFI & Coil Packs on a 348/409

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I don't know if anyone has an interest, but I thought I'd pass along the parts and part numbers needed for one of the possible ways to use a multi port fuel injection system and coil pack. This information came from FAST tech support, so I'd like to believe they know what they're talking about.

Here is a link to one of their standard BBC setups:
http://www.fuelairspark.com/fas/xfi...-bbc-up-to-1000hp-polished-throttle-bodyhtml/

For anyone who is interested, this should save quite a bit of research time:

XFI ECU w/NTK O2 (base ECU) Part # 301000 $1666.45

w/Internal Data Logging Part # 301003 $1808.95

w/Traction control Part # 301005 $2009.95

w/data logging and traction cont Part # 301007 $2160.70

( I gave part #'s and prices for each ECU so you have the options avail to chooses which ECU you would like)

Throttle Body (4150 flange) Part # 307603 $615.94 (red)

Part # 307603P $696.75 (polished)

Main harness Part # 301101 $356.95

Injector harness (4/7 firing order swap) Part # 301201 $120.55

Fan and Fuel Pump Harness Part # 301406 $68.20

Map Sensor (1 bar) Part # 307007 $40.75

Coolant temp sensor Part # 307003 $10.75

Air temp sensor Part # 307004 $10.15

Fuel Delivery System Part # 307500 $932.90

(Fuel system is good for 1300HP of N/A power)

60 lb/hr Injectors Part # 30156 $672.00 (8)

Billet Fuel Rail Part # 30454 $172.06 (these are setup for our intake, yours may or may not work, but something will be needed to stabilize the rails)

XIM Part # 301313A $726.99

Crank Trigger Part # 301270 $224.02

What you will use is part # 301313A, Ford modular coil on plug XIM. This will be the simpler way to do it. The firing order is hard wired in the connector not not programmed in the box. By following the harness diagram, you will re-pin the firing order in the ignition harness of the XIM and that will give you the correct firing order to work with your cam. For a crank signal we have our crank trigger that mounts at the dampener. You can use the factory distributor with using the Pertronix points and condenser eliminator as your cam signal or MSD makes a distributor that will work.
You will need to remove 7 of the points in the distributor so the cam can get a proper signal. That way it only has 1 point for cam signal and not trying to pick up on all 8. Crank needs all 8 where the cam only needs 1 point. Then maybe make a different cover for the distributor that does not have the terminals on top so it doesn't have the "distributor" look. Our distributor will not fit the 348/409 blocks because of shaft size differences.
Our 301270 Crank trigger fits the 7" balancer, but the crank sensor bracket will be different for big block (396-454) but we do not have a listing on the 348/409. So some fab work will need to be done to make this fitment correct.

With adding the XIM and crank trigger, using the base ECU as the kit comes with and the correct harnesses, you are looking at this price range. $5617.71

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The only thing I don't know right now is, using Aubrey's intake, where to mount the MAP sensor or where to mount the coil packs.

I'm thinking of checking with ARP and see if they have longer studs for the head so I can mount them on the bolts which are outside the valve covers.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
The map sensor can be firewall mounted..Why not make up a rail that attaches to the lower valve cover bolts?

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The map sensor can be firewall mounted..Why not make up a rail that attaches to the lower valve cover bolts?
Part of me was thinking, since I'm going to remove the wire looming on the valve covers and re-use them, why not make a valve cover spacer from and use extend it for mounting the coil packs?
The better question for the MAP sensor might have been, how to make it work or where to have it take measurements from the intake manifold?

Both of these questions are more of a thought exercise until I have everything in front of me where I can take a much closer look. Until then, I'm certainly open for input.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Well I think the valve cover spacer is a neat idea.As to the MAP,your throttle body might have a port to direct manifold vacuum,or you could,depending on the design of the sensor,drill a hole in the manifold at the base of the throttle body and mount it directly to the manifold its self.

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
All you need for the MAP is a 1/8 nipple and a vac hose and mount it on the firewall or make a little L bracket off a rear intake bolt. I'd probably tap the nipple in the back of the plenum between the runners towards the top.....about 1/2" down from the carb flange.

I've seen all sorts of coil brackets and relocations over on LS1Tech.com, but the simple/cheap and still nice looking ones just used some threaded rod to hang the coils. They just made some brackets to hang the threaded rod (think of a towel rack) and the coils just slipped onto the threaded rod with jam nuts to hold them in place. Turned sideways to mount on the rod they take up very little room. You could put 4 on each fenderwell or 4 on the firewall on either side.

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Does anyone have or know the part number for the Pertronix points and condenser eliminator?
I tried searching on Summit but I'm not sure I'm finding the correct parts.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
303,The part numbers for the Pertronix units are 1181 for the Pertronix 2,71181 for the Pertronix 3 .The 3 unit is more powerful,and has a built in adjustable rev limiter.You could likely program your ECM to control the rev limit,but since you're going with the supercharger,I'd suggest the 3 unit.In your case,you can't have too much ignition.:deal

Molten

Well Known Member
I am in process this fall on converting to megasquirt 2. I have the sensors and pigtails, and distributor from a 1991 5.7 litre truck. Going to use a modified 2barrel holley throttle body temporarily.
Anyone tried megasquirt?

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Just a thought but have you looked into Megasquirt, its cost, and its capabilities? Might make you reconsider your list especially if you use LS Coil packs.

https://www.diyautotune.com/
I don't doubt the MegaSquirt capabilities or cost. I think I looked at a link posted on another thread but not sure what I didn't like at the time. I probably missed something really important like seeing their throttle body and confused their offerings with strictly TBI rather than both Multi-Port & TBI. I didn't see any cam pick up/sensor, I wonder how they get around a cam signal?

Since I've started down the path of ordering the Fast components, I'll probably keep with it. My engine builder orders through Keystone which allows him to order at a wholesale or better discount and he isn't taking a mark up.

At worst, I can swap out the brain box, wiring harness and trigger wheel at a later point in time but keep the injectors, sensors, etc as they are.

Thanks for the info!

jwhotrod

Supporting Member 1
Again, unless you are going to sequential fuel injection you do not need a cam signal sensor. Batch fire or non sequential fuel injection will run a street motor just fine. Mine is running non sequential and runs very good, Mega Squirt is a good system but is really intended for do it your self construction (ecm, etc) and is great if you want to "screw" with it. If you want something "easy" to setup Holley, and Fast are better bets. My personal choice was Holley HP with Holley's crank trigger and use a "conventional" distributor as a rotary switch only.