Fastener question

BA-Man61

I've noticed that small block timming cover bolts, and oil pan bolts appear to be the same as the 348/409 bolts, but what about intake manifold bolts? Does anyone know if big block intake bolts would be the same? I'm using 817 heads and a 340hp 409 intake manifold. Any info would be appreciated. I'm trying to save a few bucks and avoid buying the "specialty" 348/409 parts.

Thanks

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Local hardware store?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but with intake manifold bolts, I suspect you could match your existing pieces with high grade hardware store parts. They don't look original, but should do the job.

I went with a "replacement kit" that included many other parts. These are not original either, but do the job. Special fasteners are needed for reciprocating parts, but for "tin" you can probably use local parts. Make sure you buy the high grade stuff, it's worth the pennies :).

Best,
TomK

BA-Man61 said:
I've noticed that small block timming cover bolts, and oil pan bolts appear to be the same as the 348/409 bolts, but what about intake manifold bolts? Does anyone know if big block intake bolts would be the same? I'm using 817 heads and a 340hp 409 intake manifold. Any info would be appreciated. I'm trying to save a few bucks and avoid buying the "specialty" 348/409 parts.

Thanks

JimKwiatkowski

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Tom, I've used stainless steel bolts that I got from a hardware store and they look as good as chrome.