Final build.

63409impala

Well Known Member
Ummmmm………your car should have absolutely no issue losing traction in the first couple of gears. Wind er up and let er go! Remember, the pedal on the right is the throttle.
Yes I know this. Others were saying how bad I was screwing up by having a close ratio Trans with the 2.20 first gear. Personally I think they're a blast to drive. Especially with a tight gear.

Murphdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I understand the being "easy" on it, on a new engine but look at it this way. True story: YEARS ago I built a dirt track engine for a customer. He picked it up about 2:30 in the afternoon as my memory serves me. After loading him I made a trip to town for something. On the way back I meet the customer with the race car headed to the track. That engine went from the stand, to install & start, to WFO in about 4 or 5 hours. That's breaking it in!
Jeff

Last edited:

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I understand the being "easy" on it, on a new engine but look at it this way. True story: YEARS ago I built a dirt track for a customer. He picked it up about 2:30 in the afternoon as my memory serves me. After loading him I made a trip to town for something. On the way back I meet the customer with the race car headed to the track. That engine went from the stand, to install & start, to WFO in about 4 or 5 hours. That's breaking it in!
Jeff

I agree Jeff, build it to send it for what ever.

63409impala

Well Known Member
I understand the being "easy" on it, on a new engine but look at it this way. True story: YEARS ago I built a dirt track for a customer. He picked it up about 2:30 in the afternoon as my memory serves me. After loading him I made a trip to town for something. On the way back I meet the customer with the race car headed to the track. That engine went from the stand, to install & start, to WFO in about 4 or 5 hours. That's breaking it in!
Jeff
This is the 6th time this engine has been repaired. So I'm being careful until I know I'm good.

427John

Well Known Member
Yes I know this. Others were saying how bad I was screwing up by having a close ratio Trans with the 2.20 first gear. Personally I think they're a blast to drive. Especially with a tight gear.
I'm guessing the guys that were recommending the wide ratio trans didn't know you had a 4.56 rear gear which is exactly the type of gear ratio the close ratio trans was meant to be used with. Now if you were running a 3.55 or 3.70 or numerically lower gear ratio I would be one of the guys recommending the wide ratio trans.

63409impala

Well Known Member
I'm guessing the guys that were recommending the wide ratio trans didn't know you had a 4.56 rear gear which is exactly the type of gear ratio the close ratio trans was meant to be used with. Now if you were running a 3.55 or 3.70 or numerically lower gear ratio I would be one of the guys recommending the wide ratio trans.
I've been toying with the idea of putting a wide ratio box in it if I change to like a 370 or 3.90 gear