FINAL SOLUTION of Hood hinge/spring problem

robota

Some of you might have seen my previous thread on the hood hinge/spring problem I was having... hood was not staying up.

Had to trade in my old orig hinges and springs because the pivot points on the origs were shot. Hood ws not adjusting any more, although it stayed up fine.

Soooo I had the misfortune of purchasing aftermarket "correct" repro hinges and "GM Replacement" springs.

To cut to the chase the hood NEVER stayed up at all with these brand new parts.
I tried many different combinations of shortening springs, pinging the hinges, all to no avail.

The company I bought the hinges told me , "there is nothing wrong with your hinges, it's a "dumb" part that can not fail and cannot be causing your problem. There must be something wrong with your hood." And furthermore inform me that I was the only person they ever had complain about them. In addition the refused to take them back since i had already installed them.

After weeks of hassles I found a used set of hinges and springs that were tight and cleaned up pretty.

Since the "dumb" part had to be good, I first installed the orig springs on the repro'd hinges. NO GO. Same deal. The cursing began. I made up some new ones too.

Then along with my $35 an hour body man we put on the first of the two old stock hinges. Bingo. The hood, even with just one of the good hinges stayed put wherever i put it. With two it was just great.

So the moral of the story is: Chinese repro hinges DO NOT WORK. The metal sucks, and the pivot points are crap. They flex, they bend, just enough to relax the tension on the spring. Those pieces of junk cost me a lot in time and money. I had my body man here 4 times trying differnt things. Not cheap. Not to mention the cost of the faulty crap. All in all between the two sets of hinges, 3 sets of springs , and my guys time, I have over $650.00 invested in getting my hood to stay up. :doh

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
So the moral of the story is: Chinese repro hinges DO NOT WORK. The metal sucks, and the pivot points are crap. They flex, they bend, just enough to relax the tension on the spring. Those pieces of junk cost me a lot in time and money. I had my body man here 4 times trying differnt things. Not cheap. Not to mention the cost of the faulty crap. All in all between the two sets of hinges, 3 sets of springs , and my guys time, I have over $650.00 invested in getting my hood to stay up. :doh

The problem is not where a part is made, the responsibility rests on the company that contracts with the parts maker and accepts this crap !!!

These companys that allow these crapy parts to be shipped and recieved without any quality control are the ones that need their gonads wacked with a big hammer !!!:takethat

If they would only inspect and refuse these poor quality parts and demand that the fabrication manufactures put out a quality part then we would not have this problem.

If all you are interested in is making money and don`t give a sh*t about the quality of the parts you have your name on this will never end.

I`m sure we would be willing to pay a bit more for a quality product if they the wholesalers would care just a little bit about selling a quality part or product .

I could go on but my blood pressure is at the boiling point !!! :bang :cuss ,,dq

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
I could go on but my blood pressure is at the boiling point !!! :bang :cuss ,,dq

Jim:

I going to send you some of my Diovan 80 mg!! It does wonders for me and my blood pressure!!!!

I'm offering just a little different perpspective on this. Had a friend who contracted with some overseas company to do a part. The sample they sent him was perfect!! He had the whole order produced and when it arrived here....each part was .030" undersized and TOTALLY WORTHLESS!! He contacted his overseas manufacturer about this and their answer was TOUGH SH*T!!!!! It wasn't their problem!! So he is out about $75,000 and no way to recoup his money!! Can't sue someone over there and have any chance of recovery.

I AGREE with your comments but it's not always the US company's fault......but a lot of the time it could be. If US companies would insist on better quality control...that would help. The early 63 cove moldings were a perfect example. They fit like a saddle on a sow!! Would have had a better chance of fitting on a 63 Comet or Studebaker Lark!! I wouldn't sell them for that reason.

The Diovan is on the way!!!!

pauls63409

Supporting Member 1
After market mouldings

I went through the same thing with my 63 Impala. I bought a bunch of after market mouldings and I only used one of them. The fit was crap and the quality sucked. I searched for and found NOS mouldings and paid through the nose for them but I was able to sleep a lot better because there was no problem installing them and they looked a hell of alot better. I find that cheap way is not always the best way, especially with sheet metal and mouldings.

tripowerguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Phil is right, my brother-in-law used to be in the import hardware business. He would have a hammer or pair of pliers made up from China or India and the sample would come back and be great. When the container came in the actual product would be totally different. We buy this crap because it is cheaper than American made stuff. We have no one to blame but ourselves because we won't pay $200 dollars for a quality part when we can get a piece of crap for $50. We have a Casket company closing it's doors and laying off 150 people here. It's moving the manufacturing to Mexico. So when you lay Aunt Martha to rest be careful when the pallbearers pick up the casket, Aunt Martha will probably fall out the bottom.:grumble: Roy

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
. We have a Casket company closing it's doors and laying off 150 people here. It's moving the manufacturing to Mexico. .:grumble: Roy

MEXICO SUCKS !!!:cuss AND so does NAFDA !!!!!:cuss

Frieghtliner Trucks is stopping production here in Portland and building another plant in Mexico !!:mad:

If this keeps up no one will have a good paying job to by these crapy foriegn parts !!:doh

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
MEXICO SUCKS !!!:cuss AND so does NAFDA !!!!!:cuss

Frieghtliner Trucks is stopping production here in Portland and building another plant in Mexico !!:mad:

If this keeps up no one will have a good paying job to by these crapy foriegn parts !!:doh

I totally agree! Exactly how I felt when GM started building cars in Canada!

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
dq, I , along with millions of people agree with you, but the problem is irriversable. It's too late. Back in 1991 there was a funny looking guy with big ears who warned of a " giant sucking sound" that would be the sound of jobs leaving this country and going abroad. 18% of the people listened, 82% did not. In my opinion, the future does not look good for the middle income population of this country. I hear today that Chrysler is for sale. Ford will be next. Ya think an American Co. will buy? Nope, will be bought by some foreign co. Getting sorta hard to be optitmistic about anything. Gee, guess I better go have a beer.. At least I can still buy a beer that is made in America.

LongIsland63SS409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
The local utility company on Long Island is being taken over by National Grid.

National Grid is an England based Utility.

I guess they won the Revolution after all those years.

What a shame. :eek:

Mike

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Mr. Perot is much older now and probably does not want to suffer the ridicule he was forced to. Unfortunately I see noone with his integrity and patriotism in the picture . 65% of American public vote for physical appearance. Sad, but true. It will be Romney or Obama in 2008. You heard it here first !!! Back to the hood hinges now.......

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
[QUOTE=Ronnie Russell; Back in 1991 there was a funny looking guy with big ears

And here I thought you were talking about Alfred E. Neuman!

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
I want to post to this forum with my "2 cents" but I promised Bob I would never do that again( I also was thinking Alfred Neuman in the beginning)

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Robert, You did the right thing. I did not think referring to someone who failed to win an election could be considered controversial, but maybe so. My mistake. My prediction included a candidate from each party so as not to show a personal preferance. Bob is correct. A subject better left alone on this forum.

W Head

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
beer

dq, I , along with millions of people agree with you, but the problem is irriversable. It's too late. Back in 1991 there was a funny looking guy with big ears who warned of a " giant sucking sound" that would be the sound of jobs leaving this country and going abroad. 18% of the people listened, 82% did not. In my opinion, the future does not look good for the middle income population of this country. I hear today that Chrysler is for sale. Ford will be next. Ya think an American Co. will buy? Nope, will be bought by some foreign co. Getting sorta hard to be optitmistic about anything. Gee, guess I better go have a beer.. At least I can still buy a beer that is made in America.

Ronnie, If you drink any of the Miller beer products or Lone Star beer. it may be brewed in Dallas, but is owned by a Japan company.:grumble:

W Head

59 El Camino 348-3,2s
59 Impala 409-2,4s

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Ronnie, If you drink any of the Miller beer products or Lone Star beer. it may be brewed in Dallas, but is owned by a Japan company.:grumble:

W Head

59 El Camino 348-3,2s
59 Impala 409-2,4s

Lone Star, owned by Japanese! What's the world coming too?
Maybe there was some truth to that movie, Broke Back Mountain, after all!