Finned aluminum drippers?

Ragtop

I'm lucky to have a friend that does patterns in a small aluminum foundry and he's going to make me a set of aluminum fiined covers using a damaged old Offy cover as the pattern for the mold. I'm wondering if it would be advantagious to have him cast in some dripper bumps or maybe put them in later with some aluminum solder I have. Worth the effort? My 409 will be in a 34 Ford street rod - not raced, but used on pretty long trips as well as Saturday night cruis'n.

JimKwiatkowski

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Roller Rockers

Skip FIx said:
I would think some roller rockers and coated valve springs would make it not needed.

Skip,your so right about the roller rockers,when I ran stock rockers I was always,replaceing worn and adjusting my rockers,at least 6 times a year :doh Roller rockers need very little oil and never need adjusting :) I check my valve adjustment at least one time a year,and I very rarely find one out of adjustment :D

JimKwiatkowski

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
29Coupe348 said:
i have stock rockers, and i hear slight clicking, could this be due to not having drippers?

Yes,the stock rockers need lots of oil,I did'nt have dripper's and I was always replaceing worn rockers and adjusting valves.Buying Roller Rockers was the best thing I did for my 409,my baby just :love them

bobs409

Administrator
I thought I recently read here that the drippers weren't really needed? :dunno

I've been running mine without drippers for about 8,000 miles now. I haven't noticed any difference in sound.

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
Don't need screw in studs, just be sure to get them for 3/8 studs like the stock 409 are . Not 7/16 like BBC. Although converting to 7/16 give you easier to find BBC choices.