First Hummer-type vehicle??

wally409

Well Known Member
Ever seen one of these?
I came upon this when I was at our library today and as part of Rememberance Day, this vehicle was on display.
These were built by GM Canada in 1943 with right-hand drive and sent to England where they were used by allied troops throughout Europe during the war.
It has a 216 cu.in 6 cylinder (looks exactly like the sixes in the 40's and early 50 Chevy cars and trucks and has a four-speed tranny.
The fellow who's refurbishing it says it's not exactly the most comfortable truck to drive - but is it cool or what?:beerbang

Attachments

• 43 Chev 001.jpg
    43 Chev 001.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 45
  • 43 Chev 002.jpg
    43 Chev 002.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 40
  • 43 Chev 003.jpg
    43 Chev 003.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 19
  • 43 Chev 004.jpg
    43 Chev 004.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 44
  • 43 Chev 005.jpg
    43 Chev 005.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 40

Bam59

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
hi,,after seeing chevy truck i thought they were made by fo-d so looked it up and they both made them.. you are right to cool:cheers

fourspeed409

Well Known Member
Those are cool trucks. My great Uncle had one on his farm. It was used in it's early days for haying. My dad said they could hay with only 2 people with that truck. Put the truck in low, get out and pitch bails to the guy on the back. It was so slow you could walk beside it and just reach in and steer it once and a while.
I was looking in a Princess Auto catalogue and they had a couple of pages of stuff they sold in the 60s and you could get one of those trucks for $800.

Shane

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
I really like old ugly vehicles. Why don't I have one of those yet! I like it.:cheers