First lathe

nana1962409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I couldn’t stop at just the gearbox so I got the main part of the machine cleaned up and reassembled the gear box back on it. I polished the ways up with steel wool and wd40. It seemed to do a good job and they are nice and smooth no roughness from the rust. Now just have to take the tail stock apart and the carriage and clean them up. I also need to find a source for the oilers. I’m missing a few and one is damaged on the gear box.E7C49A28-53D3-448F-A6F0-5609938CCC5D.jpegDEA74826-BCA5-4E9E-AA4D-D14AD9C3EEA9.jpeg590D12A3-1A88-4F58-B269-085E45C4F209.jpeg

Last edited:

nana1962409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Brad the last picture shows the damaged one. It’s a 90 degree one on the side of the gear box.

nana1962409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
55brodie yes that is the correct ones and I need the 1/4 drive in ones. I also need one straight one for 1/4 as well but didn’t see that one on the site. Also Gits must have been the original manufacturer for the oilers being that is the name on the the others. Brian I’m looking forward to getting everything working and hopefully won’t be many issues. I did notice some wear on the lead screw threads about 1/3 way down from the chuck. I’m guessing that is the most used spot so not sure if I will even worry about that yet or not.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I couldn’t stop at just the gearbox so I got the main part of the machine cleaned up and reassembled the gear box back on it. I polished the ways up with steel wool and wd40. It seemed to do a good job and they are nice and smooth no roughness from the rust. Now just have to take the tail stock apart and the carriage and clean them up. I also need to find a source for the oilers. I’m missing a few and one is damaged on the gear box.View attachment 86256View attachment 86257View attachment 86258

I see who the real brains behind this is, fella in red t shirt with hammer

Junky

Well Known Member
I was telling a friend about your lathe today, and he has the same lathe. He got his from his neighbor that wasn't watching what he was doing, and jammed the thing, and sheared all the teeth off of the gears. He said to watch all the youtube videos to learn how to use it, and to be careful with the gears, because they are "fragile", and you can ruin a gear in seconds if you are not careful. He told me that they were designed to self destruct to save the machine from further damage. He showed me how he bought a steel gear, and had to machine the center to make it work. Said that once you learn how to operate it, that they are fun. He is a retired machinists so he knows his way around all of these tools, and he is extremely talented. Whenever I get into a jam, he comes to bail me out, but I only can call on him 5 months of the year. His second occupation is fishing off the pier in the winter months in Florida. Dam snow bird!!!!!!!!!!

nana1962409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thanks junky. I had heard that the gears are kinda fragile on these machines being most are made out of zamak. Did he say how they jammed it and broke the gears? Taking this thing apart and cleaning it up is kinda nice being you get to see how everything works and goes together so it helps me have a better understanding of the machine. Hopefully this weekend I will be able to get it running and give it a test run!

Junky

Well Known Member
He didn't know for certain, but he said that most likely they weren't watching, and that the automatic feed caused the problem. When he got it, it came in pieces, since someone took it apart to fix it, but didn't complete the repair.

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Back in college days, I was assigned to a Hendey lathe in the back row. There were 12-15 Atlas lathes in the room. One student broke the gears in the cross feed. I think what happened, I think he had the half nuts engaged to the lead screw and without thinking also engaged the automatic cross feed. Anyway the 2 beveled gears broke.

nana1962409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Well my parts didn’t show up this weekend but got them Monday and now it’s all back together and all functions seem to work properly! Got it pretty well cleaned up and ready to work so time to watch some videos and figure out what to make with it.A0533E6F-D360-47C9-9EC8-4BFC243F71F3.jpeg62195589-F548-432D-82D8-69E907F9A88C.jpegBE2D7D64-883A-4482-88EF-8128CE2EED3A.jpeg