flat tappet cams

32witha409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
If the name brand vendors are having failures because of the lifters THEY test and source, I can't imagine they simply continue and ruin a reputation. Doesn't make sense.
I can not find any Roller cams and roller rockers for under $1200. Chevy didn't build them that way anyway. I am NOT disagreeing with all of you that rollers are much less headache. But flat tappet hydraulic cams work well if broken in properly. I don't disagree, that off shore lifters could be questionable. But I sort of have a hard time believing name brand cam manufacturers would risk their reputation in providing sub par lifters with their camshafts......I'm all for sourcing a good lifter.....

How many of you are running Hydraulic flat tappet cams and lifters in your 348/409's? What brand did you use and from what vintage?
I'm not fighting you guys. I just broke in an Edelbrock supplied cam and lifters in my Small Block Chevy build. No problems.

Marty
I'm running a custom ground Comp ground mechanical flat tappet cam and lifters that I bought through A Bruneau Performance in my 409.
Running 144# seat and ~340# open. I have not had any problems with it but It was installed when I built the engine in about 2008. First run in 2011 using VR1 20-50 and running that since.

While I have never had any issues, a roller cam had big performance benefits beyond the failure potential you hear about.
I'll be using rollers from now on.

Tim

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
I have had a failure with Comp hyd flat tappet lifters in the 348 I built. During break in on the Dyno 10 mins in 2 of the lifters on the same cylinder stuck all the way down and never recovered. Took the top off on the dyno put a new set off the shelf in and didn’t have another problem. Put the failed ones in the box and never really thought about it until I had a Comp timing gear set (in the first 454) that had too much deflection out of the box. Called Comp and sent the timing gear set and the lifters back which they replaced under warranty. Great service and no fighting. Since then I built a hyd roller 454 with Comp lifters and there’s no issue with it. Building another 454 with the warranty Comp flat tappet because I have them and it will go on the dyno for break in the same as the 348. I know what to listen for when they get stuck so we’ll see. Not being a racer and these are street engines although against my good friend Dons advice I’ll use them because I have them. Comp treated me really good and I suspect if they’ve had enough replacement/issues they will source better ones going forward

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
A lot of Comp's stuff is from off shore[cheapest place they can get] and there's been a ton of complaints about them.Their cams and springs are good,but there's been problems with their roller lifters as well.
Mr. Don ….How far back do the problems go…???…. with solid roller lifters…….????

Reactions: Tim

marty_in_mesa

Well Known Member
I ended up with basically a 5 year old new old stock Comp Cam and lifters. So I should be good. Still waiting on the machine shop to get to my 348 to inspect it.
Marty