Flat towing basics

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Thanks!

I should have known Models would be the one to track this part down!

MileHi, that must look great going down the road. Have you coupled them up yet?

Best,
TomK

PAINTJOHN1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I remember all my friends used to joke that if I didn't get you with the race car,we'd come back with the tow car and blow you away. John

Thats a great story John and it reminded me that the 65 Caddy I used to tow the race car with was only about sec and a half slower than the race car. Them Old Caddies really hauled a:eek::eek: for the big bodies that they were:brow Ken

Hey Ken,I know all about those old Caddy's.In 1973 a good friend of mine put a 1969 Caddy 429ci engine with caddy tranny in a 1959 Impala 4 door hardtop.The motor had about 350hp,but the torque was around 480 pds.This car would literally scream.Was with him one night with 3 other guys in the car,trunk was loaded down with junk and he blew this Mach One mustang away like it wasn't even there.The torque would absolutely through you against the seat.Car was amazing,just would snap off axles and blow rears every other week.This Impala was one of the ugliest cars I ever saw,wheels were all different colors,1 whitewall on the back,2 baby moons on one side only,rest of the tires were blackwalls,car was an ugly silver blue paint that was his on creation(not the silver blue on the old Chevies),and had a black top.What a sleeper,motor was painted Chevy orange with 283 stickers on the valve covers.Only person who ever looked at the motor and was fooled was the kid who pumped gas at the local station.He didn't have a clue,what it was. John

WENGINE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Iv'e seen guys do a lot of crazy stuff with their car but when you talk about sleepers the most outrages one I ever saw was an old rat bodied Mazda that poped, smoked, missfired and sounded like it was going to blowup at any moment. The guy pulls up to the starting line at Englishtown (I didnt think he was going to make it out off the line) when he was done there was a 7 sec time posted on the board. After rubbing my eyes I thought I was seeing things he comes back a little while later and dose it again:scratch Go figure. Ken