Flat towing....... TOWBAR

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Does anybody besides me remember those old "Towing hubs"that they used to make?
Don , If I remember correctly , that's what I was using on my car when I flat towed. I think that picture was from 1969 , before the lettering and bumpers and the "GRUMPY BOX" PictureKodak easy share photos 1004.jpg I never took off the tow bar tabs as evident in this pic. I put 2 slots in the front bumper center bar to accommodate the tow tabs. If any body here has a '57 and wants to "Flat Tow " I still have that center bar.:deal
:crazy:happy:cheers

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
I used NMW tow hubs in the old days. 5 lug Corvair wheels. Not sure if you can even buy Hubs nowadays.

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Okay..... I've got to be the one to ask: What are Tow Hubs? I've got an idea, but not familiar with them.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Tow hubs were free wheeling hubs that you bolted to your axel,then bolted your "towing tires"on to them.Leave the cars trans in gear,and they would freewheel down the road.Remove them and install your slicks when you got to the track.PITA really,but funtional,andeasy on drivetrain parts if you didnt have a trailer.Models listed the brand of hubs that I was trying to remember,but couldnt.[crs again].

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Before I got my 64 Chevy C-30 ramp back I flat towed with my 64 Impala SS. I didn't experience any problems and I lived about 25 miles from National Speedway.Here on Long Island.
Jason , I don't remember where I got the tow hubs for my '57 ( I think I bartered for them.) I don't remember what steel wheels I used either . Remember:rub , this was 45 years ago.
What they did was basically disconnect the drive line from the road so effectively the rear was not turning with the wheels. They bolted to the axels and the wheels bolted to the tow hubs.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it .:idea:crazy:happy:cheers

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Thanks Don and Butch!! I figured they had to be something like that, but hadn't ever seen or even heard of them before.
It sounds like a great idea, but what about the low fenderwell of our cars? Wouldn't they have pushed the wheels/tires out and caused interference? Or were they so thick that they put the tow wheels/tires out past the quarter panel?

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
No you just used a much thinner wheel/tire combo such as the 13 in. Corvair [they had 5 lugs and the traditional "Chevy" bolt pattern] to get the job done.