Flex plates for 348

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I actually used the search functionality on the site and these two came out recommended:

And I found this one as well:

My question is, is there a compelling reason to use one over the other? In general, I expect some spirited driving, but not a ton of track time. And the engine will have a stupid amount of power.

Thanks in advance for input!

Seon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Odd this came up. Thinking that I wanted new so I brought my flexplate to Napa Parts today where they tried matching the O.D. and I.D. of the crank hole with the ones they had on hand but didn't have a match. At any event, those new ones were "paper thin" compared to the original plate I have so I just decided to remount mine back on the motor.
One thing the NAPA owner who btw is an old hot rodder told me is to never trust the internet parts discriptions but rather bring, if avaiable a sample in to compare.

427John

Well Known Member
Based on their description of the high inertia version,it appears to be heavier than the conventional design being solid and made of thicker steel to have some flywheel effect,with an auto trans I can't see where it would hurt anything and may even improve your 60 ft. as they say,that is if you race it at all.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Get the thicker one,as for serious racing due to the power your engine will be making.It's better for it to be there and not be needed than the other way around.

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thanks Guys! In theory, even making it in before the end of January, the thicker one should come in before other important parts.
Here's to crossing my fingers!