flexplate for 409

No409

Supporting Member 1
hey, im puting my 09 in my 63 over the winter, and was wondering if the flexplate off a SBC is the same, or do i half to get a specific one for the 409.

Thanks
Tom Evers
No409@aol.com

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
No,,, any 153 tooth flexplate (heee heee private joke),,,,, NO WAIT ,,,,,, 168 tooth flexplate will work (except 400ci)from an external balanced engine ,,,,dq

No409

Supporting Member 1
Cool,
thanks DQ, i thought it would, but just wanted to be positive, before i get ready to put it in. im gonna run a th350 this season, then 4-speed it next season.
im hoping to get high 10`s, low 11`s out of it. It dynoed 585 hp with a ported 63 4bbl intake. ih shooting for over 600 hp with my lamar walden 2x4 intake.

Tom Evers
No409@aol.com
63 impala ss, 12.59@110 SBC on street tires
87 turbo buick 11.54@119 on street tires
94 impala ss 14.64@93
55 chevy 427, 4-speed
57 chevy nostalgia straight axle drag car for sale! $15K

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
585hp!!! :cheers Wow, that's great! are you going to put this engine in your 63 Impala?

No409

Supporting Member 1
My motor is a .030 over 814 block, Z-11 crankshaft, BBC rods, custom 12.5 to 1 forged pistons, solid roller cam, 620 lift,lamar walden alum water pump, a heavily worked set of 690`s( the guy raised the center to exhaust ports so all of them are the same hight) custom headers, roller rockers, screw in studs, stainless valves, Intake is stock 63 409 4bbl, heavily ported, holley 850, accell dist. The guy i bought it off of had it in his 62 bubbletop, 3600lbs, and went 10.80`s @123 mph with a 4- speed. He also dynoed it and it mad 585 hp at the flywheel, and i thing right around the same number for torque. He recommended i go to like a sheetmetal intake and a dominator, but i went with the lamar walden dual quad intake( the 2 piece one), and im gonna prob go with those race edelbrocks( i love holleys but want to run N/SS with the car.

once the motors in, i gotta put the rear in next. Built a 9", strange centersection, spool, 4.33 gears, 35 spline axles, wilwood disc brakes, etc.
im tired of breaking stock rearends

hopefully she`ll be done by spring, but im buying a house, so moneys gonna be pretty much non-existant from now on!

Tom Evers
No409@aol.com
63 impala ss 12.59@110 SBC on street tires
87 turbo buick 11.54@119 on street tires
94 impala ss 14.6@93
55 chevy 427, 4-speed
57 chevy gasser for sale

Rockfish39

Supporting Member 1
Wrong-o Buffalo !!!!!

dq409 said:
No,,, any 153 tooth flexplate (heee heee private joke),,,,, NO WAIT ,,,,,, 168 tooth flexplate will work (except 400ci)from an external balanced engine ,,,,dq

:rolleyes: dont take this personally Jim,

409 Chevy flexplate IS A UNIQUE plate!!!!!! 409 ONLY...

A standard SBC 168 tooth plate will not work without you making some modifications, and here is why...

The flexplate mounting flange on a 409 crankshaft is OBTUSE and not round. The offset in a standard SBC flexplate is round. In other words the flex plate will not bolt FLAT to the mounting flange unless you either mill the mounting flange into a round shape or hammer and grind a section of the flexplate. IF you try to do this without either of these modifications you will end up bending the flexplate when you tighten the bolts and it will not spin true. It will wobble.

Rock :cool:

bluescreamer

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
No409

Rockfish is correct about the flex plate.
I used a stock SB flexplate, but made a .060 shim and placed it between the crank
and flexplate. this solved the problem of the plate twisting when it is bolted to the crank.
Can also use 5 .060 steel washers. :doh

Allen
Blue Screamer

No409

Supporting Member 1
my concern is getting a SFI approved flexplate for my car, since i dragrace it

thats why i was gonna use a SBC flexplate.

does anyone offer one specifically for the 09?

bluescreamer

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
No409

I didn't realize you needed one for a race application. I installed a CSI 200, For a chevy 350-427 168 tooth, It meets the SFI 29.1 NHRA rules.
I don't know of a company that is making a flexplate just for a 409.
Allen

FYN409

Flex Plate

I installed a SBC flexplate on my 09 (truck block/crank) and did not notice a problem. Now I haven't looked at the flexplate with the engine turning, but it didn't seem like a problem when I was putting it on the motor.

-Ryan(FYN409)

Rockfish39

Supporting Member 1
FYN 409... I know what you mean.

You think that all is going well, all six bolt holes seem to line right up, all 6 bolts go right in, you grab your torque wrench and torque those puppies down, So far, so good, right????

That is until you spin the crank on a dynamic balancing machine and you see the flexplate oscilating as it spins up... Your eyes just cannot discern .060 out of perpendicular on an 11 inch disc just by looking at it.

As BLUESCREAMER pointed out, he had to install a .060 shim in between the crank flange and the flexplate to correct this problem.

My solution was to turn down the mounting flange during balancing operations so the flexplate would bolt flat to it.

You may want to pull the inspection shield, disconnect and pull back the torque converter, start the engine and watch what the flexplate is doing at 900RPM.
If it isnt spinning true, you have a problem...

Rock :cool:

Here's a picture of what can be done to solve your dilemma:

oops
sorry....

wrong thread :eek:

HEEE HEE HAAA !!! HEE !!!

INCREDIBLE engine, No409 ( geez, that'd be like calling me "no-clutch pedal" :roll ).
I hear 'ya on the Holleys.... DON'T WE WISH :cry !

No409

Supporting Member 1
My plan was to go with a jerrico when i go 4-speed

just i have no money now buying a house, untill i sell something!

Thanks for all the info guys!
Tom Evers
No409@aol.com

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I installed a new SFI approved SBC flexplate and had no problems with it.
I did have a problem with the stock small block one before that though now that you mentioned it. CRS !!!! :help

The problem I had with the old one was at the converter bolts. I had to use washers between the converter and flexplate.

Good luck , dq

M

Mr.Jimmy

4 speed......

Aubrey......How did you end up with my x-mas present?????? :dunno

Gerry

Supporting Member 1
Flywheel shims

No409

TCI makes flywheel shims that will solve your problem. They are available thru Jeg's.

Gerry

Mr.Jimmy said:
Aubrey......How did you end up with my x-mas present?????? :dunno

Well, Mr Jimmy, it's like this... I'm a few hundred miles farther north than you. This thing was heavy, and Santa simply couldn't carry it any more, so he dropped it off here.

About the flex plate... It would seem that the aftermarket part is the solution. You definitely need a "flat" back side of the plate in order to match up with the "oblong" flange of the 409 crank.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Flexplate

Hmmmmmm, I have a smallblock flexplate bolted to the rear of my 09 and did not shim it! Had the same flexplate on the 348 first. Flexplate runns true??

bobs409

Administrator
When I bought my flexplate, I asked for one for a '66 396. Probably the same thing as a small block and I don't remember having any trouble installing it.

If one of these were out of whack, what symptoms would there be?