Floor jack

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
What's the best way to add oil to a floor jack? I have an older Sears 2 ton floor jack that raises but won't lift anything anymore. I've held the ram at full extension and have put in oil but nothing has really changed. It's a solid jack and I don't want to replace it. It's oily on the pump end, always has been, but it's not pouring out oil. Does it still need more oil? Under the fill plug is a screw that can be tightened against a spring. Is this for pressure adjustment?

Thanks

Ross

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
You may have air in it, I fill mine with the lift all the way down, fill to the top. With the plug out, lower the lift handle slowly all the way down so the oil doesn’t flow out the filler hole, move handle all the way up, top up with oil, repeat until no air comes out the filler hole, replace filler plug with handle up.

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I'll try the fill method first. Hopefully, if it does need seals, they won't be too hard to change. Thank you Don and Cecil!

Ross

Austin Bubbletop

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
There are some Youtube videos on this. I threw away what I now know was a good jack that just needed new seals. I now have a cheap aluminum import and it needed to be bled after only a year but it works fine.